Thursday, November 30, 2006

"I am the Lord's servant."

With that faithful response, Mary accepted the message of her pending pregnancy from the angel Gabriel. Her entire life was about to be thrown upside down. Her fiancĂ© would question her fidelity. Friends would think she was immoral. Her story would be judged a fantasy by those who heard it. But, this young woman, a girl really, from Nazareth embraced God's plan with humility that reveals her deep faith. “I am the Lord’s servant. May it be to me as you have said.” Then the angel left her." (Luke 1:38, NIV) We are left mainly with our imagination about the events of the next 9 months of her life. We are told she took a trip to see her cousin, Elizabeth, probably to avoid the questions and stares that her expanding womb brought her way in the village of Nazareth. We also know that Joseph took her on a long journey to Bethlehem in the final days of her pregnancy, but mostly her story is left untold. Her faith, however, remained strong! She embraced God's plan and 33 years later was standing near the cross with a broken heart watching her Son die in the plan of God. Two millennia later, we respect this woman for her unique place in our faith and her example of faith inspires us!

When I was a teenager, the Lord spoke to my heart concerning giving my life to His service. My response, unlike that of Mary, was not immediately positive. I wrestled and waffled and resisted. My immaturity, both emotional and spiritual, led me to believe that I would be happier doing something other than Christian ministry with the gift of my life, but God was patient and merciful. He drew me to Himself. The decades of experiencing His faithfulness and provision, have brought me to a place where I find myself saying "I am the Lord's servant," more readily. I embrace His plans with greater enthusiasm, too. 'Bout time, wouldn't you say? I join Jeremiah in praising God, borrowing his prose - "The unfailing love of the Lord never ends! By his mercies we have been kept from complete destruction. Great is his faithfulness; his mercies begin afresh each day. I say to myself, “The Lord is my inheritance; therefore, I will hope in him!” The Lord is wonderfully good to those who wait for him and seek him. So it is good to wait quietly for salvation from the Lord." (Lamentations 3:22-26, NLT) Amen and amen! Because of His promise, I know my home is ultimately in the Presence of God, in a place of unimaginable beauty called Heaven. The road between today and eternity is hidden in His mind, but by His grace I will say "I am the Lord's servant" at each turn, at each new challenge.

God has a plan for you, just as He did for Mary and for me. Don't be misled by those who say that His plan will always lead you along sunny pathways, strewn with flowers of sweet fragrance! Praise God, there are moments on the mountaintop. And, some days, even the most faithful are led through deep valleys. Some of us He leads to greatness, others to obscurity. In the great faith-walk chapter, we read of those who saw God's promises unfold in glorious ways; and we read of those who died in persecution holding onto their faith. The Word assures us that "All of these people we have mentioned received God’s approval because of their faith, yet none of them received all that God had promised.
For God had far better things in mind for us that would also benefit them, for they can’t receive the prize at the end of the race until we finish the race.
Therefore, since we are surrounded by such a huge crowd of witnesses to the life of faith, let us strip off every weight that slows us down, especially the sin that so easily hinders our progress. And let us run with endurance the race that God has set before us."
(Hebrews 11:39-12:1, NLT)

Are you ready to trust Him with your life, friend? Yes, that is rather grand, isn't it?
Better we ask ourselves, "will I trust Him with this day?" and leave tomorrow's faith until then.

Let the faith of Mary instruct you today. As she was willing to let God use her for His purposes, may you, too, respond to Him with a simple faith, without pre-qualification, saying, “I am the Lord’s servant. May it be to me as you have said.”
_________________________

I am weak but Thou art strong;
Jesus, keep me from all wrong;
I'll be satisfied as long
As I walk, let me walk, Close to Thee.

Through this world of toil and snares,
If I falter, Lord, who cares?
Who with me my burden shares?
None but Thee, dear Lord, None but Thee.

Just A Closer Walk With TheeCopyright: Public Domain

No comments: