Wednesday, May 10, 2006

Now, patiently wait for Him!

My daughter and I chatted on the phone yesterday about my dislike of 'loose ends' in life, I shared with her some of the ways in which I have recently observed God's plans working out- and I laughed as I said, "He really does love me!" How could I have ever thought otherwise, given my years of walking with the Lord? I haven't doubted His love, but like most people who He puts in His waiting room, leaving them in a situation that to all appearances isn't going well, I had been tempted to conclude that God had forgotten me or shelved me. Then, the knots started to unravel, the pieces started to fall into place, and I realized, anew, how He's been at work all along.

Habakkuk, the prophet, was tempted to conclude that God had stopped working. He went to prayer and heard these words from the Spirit: "Write my answer in large, clear letters on a tablet, so that a runner can read it and tell everyone else. But these things I plan won’t happen right away. Slowly, steadily, surely, the time approaches when the vision will be fulfilled. If it seems slow, wait patiently, for it will surely take place. It will not be delayed. “Look at the proud! They trust in themselves, and their lives are crooked; but the righteous will live by their faith." (Habakkuk 2:2-4, NLT)

In his letter to the church in Philippi, Paul talks about the purposes of God working out in life, differently than he had planned, but ultimately for the greater good. He is under house arrest in Rome, kept from his preaching travels in the Empire. Those who looked at his life's situation could have concluded that God had sidelined the apostle in a dead-end place. But it wasn't true! God was allowing him to multiply his effectiveness by putting him among the 'movers and shakers' of the Roman world. He wrote, "everything that has happened to me here has helped to spread the Good News. For everyone here, including all the soldiers in the palace guard, knows that I am in chains because of Christ. And because of my imprisonment, many of the Christians here have gained confidence and become more bold in telling others about Christ." (Philippians 1:12-14, NLT) He was evangelizing the soldiers of the palace guard, the elite young men of the realm! Everyday they stood in the room where he prayed, wrote, counseled, and taught. They learned about the living Lord. Some were converted and took the message back to their homes and families.

Be patient. Pray for faith. Ask God to steady you until you're able to grasp the 'what, why, and when' of His purposes. That's not an easy assignment. Some will mock you as you profess your trust in God. Like Job's not so wonderful wife who saw his plight, they will advise you to "Curse God and die!" (Job 2.9) But, like Job, hang onto your trust in Him. It's just fine to cry when it hurts. God sees your tears and weeps along with you. It's just fine to pray, "how long, Lord, before this night breaks into day?" He, too, is waiting for the day when His kingdom comes!

But, never doubt His love or His ability to accomplish His purposes!
Take this promise with you today. Meditate on it and let the eternal Word strengthen your faithful resolve to serve the Lord.

"So will the words that come out of my mouth not come back empty-handed.They’ll do the work I sent them to do, they’ll complete the assignment I gave them. “So you’ll go out in joy, you’ll be led into a whole and complete life. The mountains and hills will lead the parade, bursting with song. All the trees of the forest will join the procession, exuberant with applause." (Isaiah 55:11-12, The Message)

No comments: