Monday, May 08, 2006

"I know the truth!" Really?

When I was a younger man, I lived with the illusion that all questions had easy answers, that all problems had simple solutions! I made a fool of myself more than once by suggesting that I understood things that I didn't 'get' at all. I ignored the mysteries of life, preferring 'black and white' to gray. I'm still an action-oriented guy, who pushes for solutions and results. However I've also learned that seldom, if ever, is a situation exactly what it appears to be on the surface because life is multi-faceted with overlapping issues and competing needs; and people are complex- a mix of good and evil, of high and low motives. Thus, I now conclude that the best solutions and answers to the challenges that we encounter in life will emerge from rich dialogue involving diverse perspectives.

These days there are few things get under my skin as much as labels that lead to simplistic, jingoistic jargon and avoidance of real interaction. Sticking a pejorative label on another person makes it easy to ignore everything he has to say.
Why would a 'liberal' listen to a 'conservative?'
What can a "Presbyterian" learn from a "Pentecostal"? (or vice versa!)
Why would a "Bible-believing" Christian engage in dialogue with a "neo-orthodox" Christian?
Can those of "free will" Arminian and "sovereignty of God" Reformed persuasions come together in the cause of the Kingdom?
Is there common ground to be found between those committed to "contemporary" and "traditional" worship styles?
Yes, I know that these labels help us to identify our positions on various issues. I am not suggesting that having convictions or doctrinal persuasions is a terrible thing. What I'm advocating is listening without immediate judgment! It's amazing what we can learn from a person with a very different point of view when we take time to really talk with them, to draw them out from behind their defenses. But, given our human pride, active and engaged listening is a skill that is most difficult to learn well!

Listen to this appeal from the Scripture - "I have a serious concern to bring up with you, my friends, using the authority of Jesus, our Master. I’ll put it as urgently as I can: You must get along with each other. You must learn to be considerate of one another, cultivating a life in common. I bring this up because some from Chloe’s family brought a most disturbing report to my attention—that you’re fighting among yourselves! I’ll tell you exactly what I was told: You’re all picking sides, going around saying, “I’m on Paul’s side,” or “I’m for Apollos,” or “Peter is my man,” or “I’m in the Messiah group.” I ask you, “Has the Messiah been chopped up in little pieces so we can each have a relic all our own?” (1 Corinthians 1:10-13, The Message)

If you and I hope to reach our world with the Good News about Jesus Christ we must learn to listen! We cannot offer answer until we understand the questions. I know that I've been guilty too often of offering people answers for questions they aren't asking, because I only half-listened to them, only half-understood their situation, and then presented them with a solution that fit my pre-conceived notions about their need. Francis Schaeffer was a prophetic voice whose writings had wide influence on Christianity a generation ago. Though he was a man of keen intellect and sharp insight, a person who had clearly defined theology and strong convictions, he was also very effective in sharing the Christian message with those most resistant to evangelism. He did it by listening! He took time to understand the culture, to learn the language and philosophy of the time, and then to wisely allow the Spirit to form his words into new ways of presenting the unchanging truth of the Gospel. In the late 70's and early 80's Dr. Schaeffer was a leading prophetic voice whose influence is still felt throughout the Church today.

Are you listening? Are building walls around or bridges to other people?

No comments: