Friday, December 15, 2023

A gift you can give


Everytime I see John (not his real name) he asks me to pray for him. Invariably, when we bow our heads and I pray, he cries, touched by the love of God. It’s been my privilege to pray for and with too many people to count over the years; at the front of the church during prayertime, as they lay in a hospital bed, in their living room, when we meet in the supermarket, over a meal in a restaurant, when we connect by phone. Monday I prayed for the Senators of the state of New Jersey when I was invited to bring the invocation in their session. 

Sometimes my prayer is just “Jesus, help my friend!”  Sometimes it is long, usually brief, in simple language, not eloquent. Regardless of the words or place, prayer is a holy moment, earth touching heaven!

I, too, have been given the gift of prayer, lifted before the Father by others in times of need in my own life.  I remember, with deep emotion, those moments when friends have come alongside of me to pray for me - for encouragement, for healing, for spiritual renewal. Their love is most evident when they speak to God on my behalf.

We all need the prayers of others. St. Paul, himself, wrote to his friends in Thessalonica and concluded his letter with this request - “Finally, dear brothers and sisters, I ask you to pray for usthat we will be saved from wicked and evil people.”   (2 Th 3:1) 

One of the primary ways that Christians can serve the purposes of God in this world is to pray - for others and for the world’s needs. God told the people of Israel “if you obey me fully and keep my covenant, then out of all nations you will be my treasured possession. Although the whole earth is mine,  you will be for me a kingdom of priests and a holy nation.”  (Exodus 19:5) 

Centuries later, Peter wrote to Christians to tell them that they were called to be "a chosen people. You are a kingdom of priests, God’s holy nation, his very own possession. This is so you can show others the goodness of God, for he called you out of the darkness into his wonderful light." (1 Peter 2:9, NLT)  John, in the Revelation, says “He (Jesus Christ) has made us to be a kingdom and priests to serve his God and Father.” (Revelation 1:6)

The work of a priest is to represent God to the world and to carry the world into the Presence of God!  That work in not reserved for some special class of person or for those who stand in front of a Christian congregation to administer the sacraments. In Christ we (*you and me!) are called to the priesthood of Believers, to share the goodness of God with others, to carry them before God in prayer. This is not a duty, it is a high and holy calling, a privilege given to everyone.

Our prayers need not be long or filled with religious cliches to be heard in Heaven. We pray from our heart, with faith that God hears. We are not concerned with ‘answers’ or ‘results.’ We are just faithful in the work.

Let me ask you - do you pray for others?
If presented with the opportunity will you pray for a friend in need, stepping into God’s Presence together?

This is a gift everyone can give.

Pray - for your spouse, for your children, for your church, for your pastor, for the nation, for the world, for the advance of the Gospel message, for peace, for the Light of Christ to break through the darkness - and in a thousand other ways! Be ready, in an instant, to bow your head to do priestly work for the world around you. In this you will find great joy and make a difference, though often unseen, when your prayers are heard at the Throne of God.

Let me pray a wonderful prayer for you today. Though they are the words of a prayer Paul first prayed, they are my heart for you. Receive the gift!

"I pray that from His glorious, unlimited resources God will give you mighty inner strength through his Holy Spirit. And I pray that Christ will be more and more at home in your hearts as you trust in him. May your roots go down deep into the soil of God’s marvelous love. And may you have the power to understand, as all God’s people should, how wide, how long, how high, and how deep his love really is. May you experience the love of Christ, though it is so great you will never fully understand it. Then you will be filled with the fullness of life and power that comes from God." (Ephesians 3:16-19, NLT)  Will join me in agreement?  Let’s say it together - Amen!

(Video of this blog at this link)

____________________

Lord I Need You

Lord I come I confess

Bowing here I find my rest

And without You I fall apart

You're the one that guides my heart

 

Lord I need You oh I need You

Ev'ry hour I need You

My one defense my righteousness

Oh God how I need You

 

Where sin runs deep Your grace is more

Where grace is found is where You are

And where You are Lord I am free

Holiness is Christ in me

Where You are Lord I am free

Holiness is Christ in me

 

So teach my song to rise to You

When temptation comes my way

And when I cannot stand I'll fall on You

Jesus You're my hope and stay

And when I cannot stand I'll fall on You

Jesus You're my hope and stay

 

Lord I need You oh I need You

Ev'ry hour I need You

My one defense my righteousness

Oh God how I need You

My one defense my righteousness

Oh God how I need You

 

Christy Nockels | Daniel Carson | Jesse Reeves | Kristian Stanfill | Matt Maher

© 2011 sixsteps Music; Sweater Weather Music; Thankyou Music; Valley Of Songs Music; worshiptogether.com songs

CCLI License # 810055

 

No comments: