Monday, December 18, 2023

Lost and Found!


Last summer I lost a ring that is a treasure to me. It’s not of great value but it means much to me. My Mother gave it to my Dad in 1954 on the occasion of their engagement. 54 years later, on his deathbed, he gave it to me. I have worn it just about every day since then until that fateful June day … I tried to rationalize my sadness but the sense of loss was real, like a piece of my Dad was gone. 

About a month later, Laura texted me a picture of my ring!!  Her daughter had sat down on a chair on their porch and felt the ring trapped between the cushion and the frame.  How it got there I can only guess, but that is of little concern. My treasure was recovered. The lost was found and I was truly joyful. Ever had that kind of experience?

Christians are remembering the arrival of the Savior and the promise of His return in this Season of Advent. This week we focus on JOY.  

The mission of Jesus is the recovery of the lost! He came, the Word tells us, to restore people who had lost their way to the Father’s family, to give Life to those who were ‘dead’ to God, to bring Light to us who ‘walk in darkness.’ 

In Luke 15, there are three stories about lost things - a lost sheep, a lost coin, and a lost son.  They were stories He told to teach us about the love of our God and the JOY of both Heaven and earth when a person accepts the invitation to be ‘found.’

Here is just one of those stories - “Suppose a woman has ten silver coins and loses one. Does she not light a lamp, sweep the house and search carefully until she finds it? And when she finds it, she calls her friends and neighbors together and says, ‘Rejoice with me; I have found my lost coin.’ In the same way, I tell you, there is rejoicing in the presence of the angels of God over one sinner who repents.” (Luke 15:8-11, NIV) 

So many people do not understand the true desire of the Lord God. They fear Him, thinking He only waits to catch them in their failure, that He is waiting to drop the hammer of judgment on them. It is true that sin separates us from our Father, that we are lost. However, His desire is our rescue.

The people of ancient Israel had wandered from their God and found themselves in terrible situations. The Spirit moved the prophet not to say “You get what you deserve,” but to remind them of the loving Father. He said "The LORD your God is with you, he is mighty to save. He will take great delight in you, he will quiet you with his love, he will rejoice over you with singing.” (Zephaniah 3:17, NIV)  A side note - the subtle metaphor there is the joy of a mother who holds her baby to her breast! As she quiets the infant with a soft lullaby, her love fills her with joy. Such is the love of our God for us!

The plan of restoration was made in heaven and carried out by Jesus. His mission is succinctly summed up in that oh so familiar passage - "“For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life. For God did not send his Son into the world to condemn the world, but to save the world through him." (John 3:16-17, NIV)  Believe that, my friend, and find the JOY promised to those who are children of God!

On this Monday morning, know the JOY of being found. Receive the love of God, in Christ, by faith. You cannot earn it. You will never be able to deserve it. It’s a GIFT that He delights to give. You are His treasure, once lost, now found. Rejoice!

Here is the word from the Word -a single line. "For the Son of Man came to seek and to save what was lost.” (Luke 19:10, NIV)

(Video of this blog at this link)

____________________

Just for fun a little 80’s vibe with a Gospel song called

I’m Forgiven

From the start

You held a place in my heart

A place that no one else could fill

Sin kept Your Spirit from workin' in me

I couldn't look at life honestly

 

Now I'm forgiven

Now I have a reason

For livin' livin'

Jesus keeps givin' and givin'

And givin' givin'

'Til my heart overflows

 

Until the day my will gave way

To the truth that I found in You

I never knew how good it could be

To stand in Your presence totally free

 

Now I can see You

As a person who's free

Even when I slip and fall

He is a God who forgives and forgets

Now I wanna give Him my all

 

I know this love He's placed in my heart

Oh is a love that will never depart

Sin brought me to the end of my rope

Now You've given me a brand new hope

 

I'm forgiven forgiven

I'm forgiven I'm forgiven

 

Bruce Hibbard | Hadley Hockensmith | Michael Omartian

© 1980 Curb Word Music

 

CCLI License # 810055

 

No comments: