Wednesday, December 13, 2023

Peace? Really?


Christians talk about peace; peace with God, the peace of God. Sometimes I wonder if it is just that - talk? Ours is not a planet of serenity. Congress debates $billions in weapons designed for death and destruction. The President of Ukraine pleads for increasingly lethal bombs to meet the Russian army. Israel and Gaza are caught up in a dance to the death with unimagineable suffering that is ongoing. Some streets in major cities of America have become dangerous because roving gangs believe that the way to settle a dispute is with a bullet in someone's head.
 

Our political parties fill the news with endless jousting for power, arguing from the extremes of policty so often, the middle ground a no-man’s land. Then, too, the Church which ought to be an oasis of peace can be, and too often is, full of factions struggling for control. Closer to home, we see the family unit under seige. Stress, pressure, and missed expectations make too many homes anything but peaceful. Capping this sad list, we know that anxiety is America’s most common mental health problem as people try to cope with life.

Is this peace for which we yearn possible?
It is, but not in the way we commonly think. Peace will not be found in gaining power, getting our way, or controlling more resources.

True peace is a gift of God, found in Christ Jesus, received by faith. 

Here is His invitation. "Then Jesus said, “Come to me, all of you who are weary and carry heavy burdens, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you. Let me teach you, because I am humble and gentle, and you will find rest for your souls. For my yoke fits perfectly, and the burden I give you is light.” (Matthew 11:28-30, NLT)  Sounds good, right? Note that He does not invite us to retreat from life, to escape from responsibilities. “Take my yoke… it fits perfectly.” 

Christ Jesus invites us to become His followers, to learn the way He desires us to live, so that we can carry life’s responsibilities without the weight chafing us, in a way that has meaning, purpose, and with reward. He will not meet us with power, bossing us around, abusing us. He will work with us because the Lord of Glory is ‘humble and gentle.’   Peace is not discovered in some paradise; it grows from inside out, the result of learning God’s ways.

Jesus says, for example, that we set aside offense, offering forgiveness to others. Not once or twice, but always!  We give our ‘enemies’ to Him, trusting Him to bring about justice in His time. IF we will do this, we can find peace.

In another example, He tells us to abandon the quest for building great treasure, choosing instead to ‘lay up treasures in Heaven.’  When He is our Master, we learn about the meaning of real wealth and are released from the endless striving for stuff! In this, there is peace.

Peace must be pursued. It will not simply break over us like sun through the clouds. We find peace in the practices of the Spirit, in putting ‘first things, first.’  Let me say it again. Peace begins within us, a work of the Spirit of God, accomplished in us as we choose to open our minds and hearts to Christ Jesus each day in faith.

I love the story that Mark tells about an ordinary day when Jesus’ friends learned about how He creates peace. They were sailing across the little Sea of Galilee when their small boat was caught in a storm. Jesus had fallen asleep in the back of the boat. What a testimony to the power of inner peace that picture is! His friends grew frantic as the storm increased in intensity. Finally, they scream at the sleeping Jesus, "Don't you care that we're about to die?" "Then He arose and rebuked the wind, and said to the sea, “Peace, be still!” And the wind ceased and there was a great calm." (Mark 4:39, NKJV) 

How many times have we watched the storms blowing up around us and felt the panic rising?  We feel the sting of another’s rejection. We live with criticism. Money runs short again. Health issues arise. That promising business deal flops. Some personal sin returns.  What then?

Will we screamed at God with bitterness or accusation?  "Don't you care that I'm about to be swept under? Where are You?"

Or will we turn to Him in confident faith, laying our need before Him, renewed in supernatural peace?

From a lifetime of walking with Jesus, I can assure you that He is near. Time after time I have known His presence with me and felt the ‘peace that passes human understanding’ flow over me.

If you're afraid today, or in turmoil, or at war - come to Jesus, the Peace-maker. Invite Him to speak to your storms.

Here's a word from the Word to meditate on for a few moments today.  Don’t miss the profound promise because the words are so familiar. "Be anxious for nothing, but in everything by prayer and supplication, with thanksgiving, let your requests be made known to God; and the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and minds through Christ Jesus." (Philippians 4:6-7, NKJV)

(Video of this blog at this link)

____________________

Good God Almighty
(Yes, He is a good God, the Almighty.
Find joy in this happy song today)

I can't count the times

I've called Your name some broken night

And You showed up and patched me up

Like You do every time

I get amnesia I forget that You keep coming around

Yeah ain't no way You'll ever let me down

 

Good God Almighty

I hope You'll find me

Praising Your Name no matter what comes

'Cause I know where I'd be

Without Your mercy

So I keep praising Your name at the top of my lungs

 

Tell me is He good (He's good)

Tell me is He God (He's God)

He is Good God Almighty

 

You say Your love goes on forever

That Your mercy never stops

So why would I assume

You'd be somebody that You're not

Like sun in the morning

I know You're gonna be there every day

So what on earth could make me be afraid

 

Praise Him in the morning

Praise Him in the noon time

Praise Him when the sun goes down

Love Him in the morning

Love Him in the noon time

Love Him when the sun goes down

 

Jesus in the morning

Jesus in the noon time

Jesus when the sun goes down

Jesus in the morning

Jesus in the noon time

Jesus when the sun goes down

 

Ben Glover | David Crowder | Jeff Sojka

© 2021 9t One Songs (Admin. by Capitol CMG Publishing)

Ariose Music (Admin. by Capitol CMG Publishing)

Capitol CMG Genesis (Admin. by Capitol CMG Publishing)

sixsteps Music (Admin. by Capitol CMG Publishing)

Sojka Songs (Admin. by Capitol CMG Publishing)

CCLI License # 810055

No comments: