Monday, May 22, 2023

Don’t Go Alone!

 

 

Life is complex, options many, situations sometimes confusing.  Several weeks ago, a friend who was dealing with bureaucracy asked me to help him. “Pastor Jerry, could you help me, make a phone call, find a way?”  We sat down together and sorted through the process. I made a couple of phone calls on his behalf.  The situation was resolved because I was his advocate!  From time to time, we will all need someone who can stand with us, who knows the way, who can see more clearly.

This Monday I want to look, with you, at a promise of the Scripture that tells us we need not do life bravely on our own. There an Advocate who stands with us, who makes our case in the very Presence of God! As He was preparing to leave the disciples, Jesus said – “I will ask the Father, and he will give you another Counselor, (Advocate) who will never leave you. He is the Holy Spirit, who leads into all truth. The world at large cannot receive him, because it isn’t looking for him and doesn’t recognize him. But you do, because he lives with you now.” John 14:16-17 (NLT)

When we need wisdom – there is an Advocate! James advises us  If you need wisdom—if you want to know what God wants you to do—ask him, and he will gladly tell you.” (James 1.5)  Yes, the Holy Spirit will make God’s will known to us, guiding us, IF we will ask and then let Him lead.

When we need peace – there is an Advocate!  One of the names given to the Spirit is “Comforter.”  In Him, we can find a wonderful peace. Countless times over the years when the pressures and problems of life have awakened me in the small hours of the morning, I have taken those things to my Comforter, praying for His peace. Paul counsels us to “tell God what you need and thank him for all he has done. If you do this, you will experience God’s peace, which is far more wonderful than the human mind can understand.” (Philippians 4.7)

When we need strength – there is an Advocate!  Those who were working to rebuild Jerusalem many centuries ago found that they were exhausted, worn out by opposition. God spoke to them (and to us) to remind them that “it is not by force nor by strength, but by my Spirit, says the Lord Almighty.” (Zechariah 4:6)  Lean on Him. He will give strength for this day, abilities to you that you cannot even begin to imagine.

When we need forgiveness – there is an Advocate! We fail. We sin. We fall short of our aspiration and God’s will. (Well, I admit that I do! How about you?) In those times, we need not wallow in guilt, slink around in shame, or creep fearfully into prayer. We have an Advocate before God, One who speaks on our behalf, Who responds to our confession with mercy and grace. He gains right standing with God for us, doing through His grace, what we cannot hope to do for ourselves. Our confidence comes from Who we know, not from what we have done.

So, today, let’s not go it alone. “Let us draw near to God with a sincere heart in full assurance of faith” (Hebrews 10) receiving wisdom, peace, strength, and reconciliation because our Advocate.

The word from the Word is a blessing that is one of my beloved passages from the Bible. Let the truth wash over you today. "I pray that out of his glorious riches he may strengthen you with power through his Spirit in your inner being, so that Christ may dwell in your hearts through faith. And I pray that you, being rooted and established in love, may have power, together with all the saints, to grasp how wide and long and high and deep is the love of Christ, and to know this love that surpasses knowledge—that you may be filled to the measure of all the fullness of God. Now to him who is able to do immeasurably more than all we ask or imagine, according to his power that is at work within us, to him be glory in the church and in Christ Jesus throughout all generations, for ever and ever! Amen." (Ephesians 3:16-21, NIV)

(Video of this blog at this link)

____________________

I Am Not Alone

When I walk through deep waters
I know that You will be with me
When I'm standing in the fire
I will not be overcome
Through the valley of the shadow
I will not fear

 

I am not alone
I am not alone
You will go before me
You will never leave me

 

In the midst of deep sorrow
I see Your light is breaking through
The dark of night will not overtake me
I am pressing into You
Lord You fight my ev'ry battle
And I will not fear

 

You amaze me redeem me
You call me as Your own
You amaze me redeem me
You call me as Your own

You're my strength You're my defender
You're my refuge in the storm
Through these trials You've always been faithful
You bring healing to my soul

 

Austin Davis | Ben Davis | Dustin Sauder | Grant Pittman | Kari Jobe | Marty Sampson | Mia Fieldes

© Kari Jobe Carnes Music (Admin. by Capitol CMG Publishing)

Worship Together Music (Admin. by Capitol CMG Publishing)

Be Essential Songs (Admin. by Essential Music Publishing LLC)

CCLI License # 810055

No comments: