Friday, May 19, 2023

Belonging!

In my living room there is a group of portraits of special people – my children and their families. We share an identity, a sense of ‘belonging’ that goes beyond shared interests. We are family.  They can call me anytime, for any reason, because they know that Dad loves them with a unique and special affection. We have an online messaging group where we share the news of our lives with each other, cheering successes and carrying the weight of disappointment. We discuss our opinions freely, have disagreements, and remain close – because we belong to each other.

Christians belong, too! Ours is a large family that shares this identity declared by our Father. "But you are a chosen people, a royal priesthood, a holy nation, a people belonging to God, that you may declare the praises of him who called you out of darkness into his wonderful light. Once you were not a people, but now you are the people of God; once you had not received mercy, but now you have received mercy." (1 Peter 2:9-10, NIV)  That phrase –  the people of God – stands out to me today.  We BELONG to Him, not as slaves, but as children. He cares for those He loves. He invests in us, seeks our affection, and promises us a rich inheritance. 

What is your primary sense of identity that shapes how you live in this world?  The question begs an answer of us!

Samuel, the OT prophet leader of Israel, called the nation together near the end of his life and reminded them of their unique identity.  Make sure now that you worship the Lord with all your heart and that you don’t turn your back on him in any way. Don’t go back to worshiping worthless idols that cannot help or rescue you—they really are useless! The Lord will not abandon his chosen people, (His kin, His family) for that would dishonor his great name. He made you a special nation for himself." (1 Samuel 12:20-22, NLT)

IF we are ‘in Christ’ we are, above all, children of God bearing His Name in this world.  Our daily choices, our words, the way we live, the things we love is a reflection of the strength of our connection with our Father, as we are empowered by His Holy Spirit.  When we are loving, good, and kind;  we demonstrate the Father’s love, that we are secure in His care and compassion. If we are miserable, ungrateful, and full of insecurities, those who live alongside of us will conclude that God is not worthy of trust, for it will appear that He has not cared for our basic needs in life!

The key lie which the Evil One tries desperately to write into our minds is that God is uncaring, too distant to be concerned about us. “You are on own,” the Devil whispers, “take care of yourself. Fight, defend, worry, and fear because God does not care for you.”  When we listen, we lose that wonderful sense of being God’s child.  So, meditate on the Word that declares that “you are a chosen people, a royal priesthood, a holy nation, a people belonging to God.  Yes, that is true both of the Church and of each one of us individually … chosen,  holy (unique to God’s purposes), belonging to Him. Pray that this knowledge owns you. Live as His child today.

Here is the promise of Jesus, our word from the Word.

"For everyone who asks, receives. Everyone who seeks, finds. And the door is opened to everyone who knocks. “You fathers—if your children ask for a fish, do you give them a snake instead? Or if they ask for an egg, do you give them a scorpion? Of course not! If you sinful people know how to give good gifts to your children, how much more will your heavenly Father give the Holy Spirit to those who ask him.” (Luke 11:10-13, NLT)

(Video of this blog at this link)

____________________

No Longer Slaves


You unravel me with a melody

You surround me with a song

Of deliverance from my enemies

Till all my fears are gone

 

I'm no longer a slave to fear

I am a child of God

I'm no longer a slave to fear

I am a child of God

 

From my Mother's womb

You have chosen me

Love has called my name

I've been born again into Your family

Your blood flows through my veins

 

You split the sea so I could walk right through it

My fears were drowned in perfect love

You rescued me so I could stand and sing

I am a child of God

 

Brian Johnson | Joel Case | Jonathan David Helser

© 2014 Bethel Music Publishing

CCLI License # 810055

 

No comments: