Wednesday, March 23, 2022

I need a drink!

 

Human beings generally love being near a body of water. One psychologist calls the lift in mood that so many experience near an ocean or waterfall the ‘blue mind.  Properties that include a lake view enjoy a markedly higher value. Hotels can charge as much as 20% more for a room that includes an ‘ocean view.’  When I visited Niagara Falls the roar of the water was soothing, the spray in my face a quiet pleasure. Scientists suggest many reasons for all of this, but I’ll just enjoy my walks by the river without a need for explanation!   

There is the refreshing that comes from enjoying a cool drink of water. A Coke may be a great thing. A cup of coffee may be a source of joy and energy, but nothing replaces that drink of water on a hot summer day.

We are living in a time of turmoil, our emotions drained by war, pandemic, and political strife. The culture around me is in a time of rapid change, creating a society that I struggle to understand, a world without God, where Self (Ego) is the new god, worshipped with unfettered expressions that laud ‘being me’ regardless of cost to others.  The soul of humanity is parched, barren, and dying. But, I am not in despair!

I think of the words of Jesus that He shouted to the crowds in the Temple courts of Jerusalem.  “Jesus stood and shouted to the crowds, “If you are thirsty, come to me! If you believe in me, come and drink! For the Scriptures declare that rivers of living water will flow out from within.” (When he said “living water,” he was speaking of the Spirit.”) (John 7:37)    “Come and Drink!” He says and our response can be one of faith when we turn to Him. Two things happen:  He renews us with the life of the Spirit and He causes us to become a source of refreshing in the world in which we live – rivers of “living water” flowing from us.

The ancient preacher, Joel, was inspired to write of the era of the Spirit that Jesus brought, a time in which we live. Using the language of plenty and renewal, he spoke of the richness of life we can know because of God’s Spirit. "‘And afterward, I will pour out my Spirit on all people. Your sons and daughters will prophesy, your old men will dream dreams, your young men will see visions. Even on my servants, both men and women, I will pour out my Spirit in those days." (Joel 2:28-29, NIV) "‘In that day the mountains will drip new wine, and the hills will flow with milk; all the ravines of Judah will run with water. A fountain will flow out of the LORD’s house and will water the valley of acacias." (Joel 3:18, NIV)

Friend, have you drank from the well of the Spirit? Are you looking beyond the temporal satisfaction of the things of this world, to be in the Eternal Presence of God, by His Spirit?  This is a gift we can know, a promise in which we live now, as we are baptized in the Spirit. We drink of His living water and become, as the Psalmist sings,  like trees planted along the riverbank, bearing fruit each season without fail. Their leaves never wither, and in all they do, they prosper." (Psalm 1:3, NLT)  Yes, we can flourish, even in the worst of times.

And, we become a source of life in this world, too.  When I read the stories of the first generation of Spirit-filled Christians told in Acts I am inspired by those men and women who went into the darkness of the Empire, with a message of life. They watered dry places and the Gospel seed grew into a tree of life for the world.  Here is one of those stories.  Peter and John met a beggar whose legs were useless.  The man had sat at the Temple’s door for years.  Did they simply feel pity and pat his head as they spoke platitudes of comfort? Not at all!  The Spirit overflowed through those men. "Peter said, “I don’t have any money for you. But I’ll give you what I have. In the name of Jesus Christ of Nazareth, get up and walk!” Then Peter took the lame man by the right hand and helped him up. And as he did, the man’s feet and anklebones were healed and strengthened." (Acts 3:6-7, NLT)  From them a Spring bubbled up that flowed from Jerusalem, to Antioch, across the Empire, and to the world.  Wherever the river flowed, lives were transformed. Sin was defeated, the Kingdom was revealed.

“Lord, let that river flow from my life!” I pray that God would supernaturally cause me to bring refreshing to people that I live among.  I don’t want to be a person whose hateful attitude, whose constant ‘neediness,’ whose love for Self is so all-consuming as to turn my presence into something like a hot, dry wind.  Rather, I desire to be one who brims over with the Spirit Who brings life, healing, and renewal.  Just being a ‘nice’ person is not enough. Striving to be a ‘kind’ man is fine, but that trait is not to be confused with the flow of living waters.  My desire, and I hope yours, too, is to be so full of the Spirit of God that the overflow cannot be contained.

Drink of the water of life and then invite the Spirit to flow from you.

The word from the Word is a blessing that I love and speak often.  Hear it again and let faith arise in you to go and be a life-source in the world.

"For this reason I kneel before the Father, from whom his whole family in heaven and on earth derives its name. I pray that out of his glorious riches he may strengthen you with power through his Spirit in your inner being, so that Christ may dwell in your hearts through faith. And I pray that you, being rooted and established in love, may have power, together with all the saints, to grasp how wide and long and high and deep is the love of Christ, and to know this love that surpasses knowledge—that you may be filled to the measure of all the fullness of God. Now to him who is able to do immeasurably more than all we ask or imagine, according to his power that is at work within us, to him be glory in the church and in Christ Jesus throughout all generations, for ever and ever! Amen" (Ephesians 3:14-4:1, NIV)

(Video of this blog at this link)

______________

Holy Water

God I'm on my knees again
God I'm begging please again
I need You
Oh I need You
Walking down these desert roads
Water for my thirsty soul
I need You
Oh I need You

Your forgiveness
Is like sweet sweet honey on my lips
Like the sound of a symphony to my ears
Like holy water (on my skin)

Dead man walking slave to sin
I wanna know about being born again
I need You
Oh God I need You
So take me to the riverside
Take me under baptize
I need You
Oh God I need You oh

I don't wanna abuse Your grace
God I need it ev'ry day
It's the only thing that ever really
Makes me wanna change

Yeah it’s like holy water on my skin
Oh it’s like holy water

Andrew Bergthold | Ed Cash | Franni Cash | Martin Cash | Scott Cash

© 2019 Angie Feel Good Songs (Admin. by Capitol CMG Publishing)

Bay19 (Admin. by Capitol CMG Publishing)

Capitol CMG Genesis (Admin. by Capitol CMG Publishing)

Scott Cash Publishing Designee (Admin. by Capitol CMG Publishing)

We The Kingdom Music (Admin. by Capitol CMG Publishing)

CCLI License # 810055

 

No comments: