Monday, March 21, 2022

Don’t live like orphan

 

A friend of mine who was orphaned in childhood struggled with insecurity for his entire life. Even though loving people adopted him, he always felt ‘different,’ wondering what life was like for those with DNA connections. His insecurity made him feel like nobody really loved him, that he had to work to ‘earn his place’ in the world. The feelings that the word ‘family’ stirred in him were much different than those I felt. I took for granted the love of Dad and Mom, my ‘place;’  my relationship needed no definition, no explanation. I was simply a son.

Do you live like a spiritual orphan?
Do you question your place in God’s family, insecure about His care, without assurance of your Heavenly Father’s acceptance of you?  Those feelings are more common than you might think.  I know many Christians who do not feel like a true son or daughter of God and that has a negative affect on their lives that ripples into every part of life.

Once alienated from God, our Father, we were spiritual orphans, but Christ Jesus came to restore us to the family! Paul assures us that we need no special heritage, no rank nor achievement.  By faith we accept His love! "God has sent the Spirit of his Son into your hearts, and now you can call God your dear Father. Now you are no longer a slave but God’s own child. And since you are his child, everything he has belongs to you." (Galatians 4:6-7, NLT)   

When my adult children come to visit in my home they make themselves ‘at home.’ They eat whatever is in the refrigerator, raid the pantry, kick off their shoes and relax. They are not guests, they are my kids and my eventual heirs.  Our Father in heaven gives us full privileges of His home and makes us His heirs – because we are His kids.

This Monday morning I want to encourage you to receive the gift of restoration to God’s love through Christ fully.  I want you to know your place in His family that is fully assured through Christ Jesus. Don’t live like an orphan, without home or family.  Let God love you.

So many things in life can work to destroy our peace, to stir anxiety in us, can’t they? Just watch the horrific news out Ukraine for a moment. Maybe your fears are much closer to home rising out of a troubled marriage or a body that is broken. Perhaps you are overwhelmed by the stuff of life – many responsibilities that make you feel inadequate for the day.  You are not alone. You are a child of God.   

You cannot control the arrival of thoughts that tempt you to be afraid or to worry, but you have a choice about your response to those thoughts. You may choose to live like an orphan and persist in worry or you can prayerfully present those threats and needs to the Father Who will grant you the 'peace of God which transcends human understanding.'

The word from the Word is one of the most familiar passages of Scripture, Jesus’ model prayer. Note the opening words that define our relationship with God, then live in the assurance of a beloved child.

”‘Our Father in heaven,
hallowed be your name,
your kingdom come,
your will be done on earth as it is in heaven.
Give us today our daily bread.
Forgive us our debts,
as we also have forgiven our debtors.
And lead us not into temptation,
but deliver us from the evil one
.’" (Matthew 6:9-13, NIV)  Amen.

(Video of this blog at this link)

______________

Who You Say I Am

Who am I that the highest King
Would welcome me
I was lost but He brought me in
Oh His love for me
Oh His love for me

Who the Son sets free
Oh is free indeed
I'm a child of God
Yes I am


Free at last
He has ransomed me
His grace runs deep
While I was a slave to sin
Jesus died for me
Yes He died for me


In my Father's house
There's a place for me
I'm a child of God
Yes I am

I am chosen not forsaken
I am who You say I am
You are for me not against me
I am who You say I am

Tag

(Oh) (Yes) I am who You say I am


Ben Fielding | Reuben Morgan

© 2017 Hillsong Music Publishing Australia (Admin. by Capitol CMG Publishing)

CCLI License # 810055

No comments: