Friday, October 05, 2018

Always on my mind


It’s Friday morning. Are you wrapping up a busy week, perhaps anticipating some family time on Saturday? Are there some projects left undone, some situations that resist your best efforts at finding a solution? Have you (like me) spent a little too much time watching the chaos of the Kavanaugh confirmation fight in Washington, DC and got caught up on one side of that debate or the other, feeling tension over what you believe to be an injustice for him/ for her?  There are a thousand things that can steal our peace – and there is a word that will restore it.   

Pause – pray this – “Lord, stir faith in me to receive Your Word that I am about to read.”

"This is what the Lord says: “At just the right time, I will respond to you. On the day of salvation I will help you. I will protect you and give you to the people as my covenant with them. … See, I have written your name on the palms of my hands. Always in my mind is a picture of (your need)." (Isaiah 49:8,16, NLT)

When Bev went to Heaven, I wanted always to keep her memory close to me. Some of you will not like the choice I made. I got a tattoo on the inside of my wrist that includes her signature. Yes, her name is etched permanently into my skin, a constant reminder of that person who I loved for 43 years. God uses that image, telling us that we are never out of His mind, as if our names were written onto His hand!  What a wonderful truth, how comforting for us.   

When we are foolishly trying to manage the universe, when we have allowed our rest to stolen by stress resulting from trying to be God, He reminds us that He’s got us, that we are loved.
The Psalmist wrote, {127:1-2}
Unless the Lord builds a house, the work of the builders is useless.
Unless the Lord protects a city, guarding it with sentries will do no good.
It is useless for you to work so hard from early morning until late at night,
anxiously working for food to eat; for God gives rest to his loved ones.

We may build a house, but only God controls the wind, the flood, the earthquake that can level it!
We may post our guard to drive away thieves and robbers but only God can secure us against the wily, evil that comes from the Devil and those who do his work.
We may diligently apply ourselves to getting the seed into the soil, but only God can make it grow! We can be thrifty and build our retirement account, but only God can guarantee our home in Heaven. Thus, Solomon, the writer of this Psalm, urges us to set aside anxiety and to trust our Sovereign Lord.

What’s eating away at you this morning? At this moment, commit it to Him. 
Need wisdom? Ask!
Out of enthusiasm? Tell Him!
Need help to cope? Trust!
Just weary of the struggle? He’ll renew you.

Here is a word from the Word.  Though familiar, let the promise that Jesus made become a source of strength and hope today.
"People who don’t know God and the way he works fuss over these things,
but you know both God and how he works.

Steep your life in God-reality, God-initiative, God-provisions.
Don’t worry about missing out.
You’ll find all your everyday human concerns will be met.
" (Matthew 6:32-33, The Message)

Remember, it’s as if your name were tattooed on His hand.
________________

What a Friend we have in Jesus
All our sins and griefs to bear,
What a privilege to carry
Ev’rything to God in prayer.
Oh what peace we often forfeit,
Oh what needless pain we bear,
All because we do not carry
Ev’rything to God in prayer.

Public Domain

No comments: