Monday, October 08, 2018

168 Hours


As I write, my week is full – meetings, a conference, planning, a funeral to conduct, hospital visits, prayer and devotion, emails and calls. Like everyone, I have 168 hours to spend during this second week of October.  What are you going to do with those hours? The single largest chunk of that time, about 50 hours, we will be asleep. Another 40-50 will be given to our work.  What about the rest? Where does it go? Do you know?

People use time much like they use money. Some are thoughtful allotting hours to exercise, worship, community service, and personal enrichment. Others waste hour after hour, having no idea where their time goes, staring at a screen, leafing through social media - even though time is our most valuable resource. Some invest their days, making every attempt to get the most in return for the hours spent. Others spend hours without a thought for tomorrow.

In my attic there are a couple of boxes that contains ‘memories.’  Items from the last half century are stored away there, each one attached to an hour that is memorable. Sorting through that box takes me back to schools, conversations with friends, the day of my marriage, the birth of babies, churches I have served, and yes; to final days of life.  I am thankful for the memories, but take my counsel for the 168 hours of this week from Paul’s inspired word -  “But one thing I do: Forgetting what is behind and straining toward what is ahead,  I press on toward the goal to win the prize for which God has called me heavenward in Christ Jesus.”  (Philippians 3:13-14 NIV)

How do we use the time that is given to us in the best way?  James offers insight. "You ought to say, “If it is the Lord’s will, we will live and do this or that.” As it is, you boast and brag. All such boasting is evil. Anyone, then, who knows the good he ought to do and doesn’t do it, sins." (James 4:15-17, NIV)   

The Spirit-filled Christian begins each new day with renewed realization that God’s will is of the highest importance.  With wisdom, with humility, with two-sided love – for God, for others – he goes into the day to ‘make the most of every opportunity!’ (Col. 4:5)   That does not mean we must be addicted to work or fill up the day with activities.  A day of recreation and rest is not the same as a day wasted.  Nor is a day packed with ‘business’ necessarily one well spent.  The difference is in the why and how behind the spending each hour.

There are 168 hours are coming your way.
What are you going to do with them?

Here’s a word from the Word.  Ponder it as you head into the stream of living this day.  "There is a time for everything, and a season for every activity under heaven: a time to be born and a time to die, a time to plant and a time to uproot, a time to kill and a time to heal, a time to tear down and a time to build, a time to weep and a time to laugh, a time to mourn and a time to dance, a time to scatter stones and a time to gather them, a time to embrace and a time to refrain, a time to search and a time to give up, a time to keep and a time to throw away." (Ecclesiastes 3:1-6, NIV) 

"He has made everything beautiful in its time. He has also set eternity in the hearts of men; yet they cannot fathom what God has done from beginning to end." (Ecclesiastes 3:11, NIV)
___________

Build My Life
(a prayer for a life well lived)

Worthy of ev'ry song we could ever sing
Worthy of all the praise we could ever bring
Worthy of ev'ry breath we could ever breathe
We live for You
Jesus the name above ev'ry other name
Jesus the only one who could ever save
Worthy of ev'ry breath we could ever breathe
We live for You
We live for You

Holy there is no one like You
There is none besides You
Open up my eyes in wonder and show me who You are
And fill me with Your heart
And lead me in Your love to those around me

I will build my life upon Your love
It is a firm foundation
I will put my trust in You alone
And I will not be shaken

CCLI Song # 7070345
Brett Younker | Karl Martin | Kirby Kaple | Matt Redman | Pat Barrett
© 2016 Martin, Karl Andrew (Admin. by Arkyard Music Services Limited)
sixsteps Music (Admin. by Capitol CMG Publishing)
Thankyou Music (Admin. by Capitol CMG Publishing)
worshiptogether.com songs (Admin. by Capitol CMG Publishing)

Bethel Music Publishing
CCLI License # 810055

No comments: