Wednesday, March 21, 2018

Do you know your place?


The happiest people I know are those who know who they are and why they are walking this earth. They are grounded, real, and content.  That person builds relationships, is effective at what she does, and generally makes her world a better place.  By contrast, those who are always wanting to be someone else, somewhere else, are a source of misery. He who looks around enviously, wishing for a different life, brings discord and unhappiness to himself as well as to those who have to deal with him!  

John, the Baptist, became a popular preacher in his era. People flocked to hear him. His name was on everybody’s lips with some speculating that he could be God’s Messiah. Then, Jesus appeared, and people started to listen to Him, following Him.  One of those ‘wonderful people’ who like to stir up controversy went to John and told him, “Everybody’s going after this new guy!”  The Gospel gives us no reason to think that he had even a hint of envy or jealousy. His reply is rich with lessons for us -  "To this John replied, “A man can receive only what is given him from heaven. You yourselves can testify that I said, ‘I am not the Christ but am sent ahead of him.’ The bride belongs to the bridegroom. The friend who attends the bridegroom waits and listens for him, and is full of joy when he hears the bridegroom’s voice. That joy is mine, and it is now complete. He must become greater; I must become less." (John 3:27-30, NIV)

This is Jesus’ wedding and I’m the best man, happy for Him.” He is not just resigned to his place, giving up a great sigh, grudgingly accepting his role. He embraces the call of God to be who he is.  He does not chalk it up to luck. He says that it is God who gives us our gifts and calling. Knowing that, he finds contentment and is able to honestly step back to a lesser place as Jesus ministry begins.

Have you found God’s call for your life?
That does not mean that you have to become a pastor, by the way.  
Do you know who you are, your strengths, your gifts that are unique to the situations in which you live? 
Are you content in that place, making the most of those opportunities?

Let me make a confession. Since Bev went to heaven a little over two years ago there is one area in which I find it hard to accept my place. When I see other ministry couples working together in a church, I feel some envy!  Bev was a big part of the work I did for four decades. Though she was often quiet, behind the scenes she was my number one counselor, my confidante, who let me work through the difficulties that come with leadership with her listening ear and prayerful support.  I miss her partnership, but am I right to envy another couple?  We both know the answer to that.  This is the place where I must now walk in contentment, accepting the grace God has for me at this time.

What robs your contentment, your joy in the Lord?  Will you bend your will to His, accept the place He’s given?  He must become greater; I must become less.”

The word from the Word is short one today. Pray that God will help you to find contentment so that He can use you with maximum effectiveness today. "Godliness with contentment is great gain." (1 Timothy 6:6, NIV)
________

To Be Used Of God

To be used of God
To sing to speak to pray
To be used of God
To show someone the way
Oh how I long so much to feel
The touch of His consuming fire
To be used of God is my desire

When I think about the shortness
Of my earthly years
I remember all the wasted days
The wasted tears
I long to preach the Word
To those who've never heard
Of the One who can dispel all fears

Audrey Mieir
© 1954 Manna Music, Inc. (Admin. by ClearBox Rights, LLC)
CCLI License # 810055

No comments: