Tuesday, March 20, 2018

But God …



Finding one’s self under scrutiny by ‘the law’ is not at all pleasant, is it? Who likes to be judged? When the police car falls in behind us and follows us for a mile, what do we feel?  Some sense of discomfort, don’t we? We wonder, “Was I speeding? Did I make an improper lane change? Is the officer getting ready to issue me a summons?”  We are told that if we have not done anything wrong, we have nothing to fear. In a perfect world that would be true.

There is a perfect Justice!  God knows us – inside and out – every motive, every action, all the circumstances surrounding every choice. Does that cause you to fear?  It should because we all, even the best of us, know there are things we have done, words we have said, that do not align with God’s plan, that resist His purpose. The heavy weight of justice is bearing down on us … until the amazing Gospel reveals to us that His justice has been satisfied on our behalf! "But God, who is rich in mercy, because of His great love with which He loved us, even when we were dead in trespasses, made us alive together with Christ (by grace you have been saved)." (Ephesians 2:4-5, NKJV)

What a glorious thought. God who knows me better than I know myself is filled with compassion, loves me, and desires to settle the case against me, with an offer of forgiveness and peace.  Our God does not ignore the evidence. He does not choose not to see our sin! Instead, He turns to His Son, who gave Himself for us. What He gives is not amnesty nor is it a probation in which we prove ourselves.  We are ‘saved by His grace.’  Thus, we find a new life and there is "no condemnation for those who belong to Christ Jesus. And because you belong to Him, the power of the life-giving Spirit has freed you from the power of sin that leads to death." (Romans 8:1-2, NLT)

Christian, trust Him. Love Him and let Him love you to life. The persistent lie that evil – whether from our old sinful nature or from the Devil’s demons – whispers to us is that God is angry, that He wants to destroy us. “Focus on your failures and imperfection,” is the message.  But God says, “Look on my Son!”  Alluding to a story from the Exodus, where faith brought healing - "Just as Moses lifted up the snake in the desert, so the Son of Man must be lifted up, that everyone who believes in him may have eternal life." (John 3:14-15, NIV)- John teaches us that a look of faith will bring us salvation.   

Are you hiding from God, fearful of His justice? Do you somehow think He will be unfair, or misunderstand who you are or what you have done?  That is untrue because “the One who knows you best, loves you most.”

Here is a word from the Word. Meditate on the promise. Don’t scurry into the shadows. Step into the Light. "This is the verdict: Light has come into the world, but men loved darkness instead of light because their deeds were evil. Everyone who does evil hates the light, and will not come into the light for fear that his deeds will be exposed. But whoever lives by the truth comes into the light, so that it may be seen plainly that what he has done has been done through God.” (John 3:19-21, NIV)
____________

Lord I Need You(worship at the link)

Lord I come I confess 
Bowing here I find my rest
 And without You I fall apart 
You're the one that guides my heart

 Lord I need You oh I need You
 Ev'ry hour I need You 
My one defense my righteousness 
Oh God how I need You

 Where sin runs deep Your grace is more 
Where grace is found is where You are 
And where You are Lord I am free 
Holiness is Christ in me

Where You are Lord I am free 
Holiness is Christ in me
 So teach my song to rise to You 
When temptation comes my way
 And when I cannot stand I'll fall on You 
Jesus You're my hope and stay 
And when I cannot stand I'll fall on You 
Jesus You're my hope and stay

 Lord I need You oh I need You
 Ev'ry hour I need You
 My one defense my righteousness 
Oh God how I need You 
My one defense my righteousness 
Oh God how I need You

 Christy Nockels | Daniel Carson | Jesse Reeves | Kristian Stanfill | Matt Maher
© 2011 sixsteps Music (Admin. by Capitol CMG Publishing) Sweater Weather Music (Admin. by Capitol CMG Publishing) CCLI License # 810055

No comments: