Thursday, June 01, 2017

Becoming … somebody of significance





I see it too often these days – people just choosing to exist!  For too many reasons to name, they give up on life, letting things go. Disappointment and disillusionment replace hope. On Monday morning they are already dreaming about Friday afternoon, getting through the week. Without a real sense of ‘why’ we are alive, we tend to get eat too much, watch too much TV … drift through day after day.

You are asking, “So, Jerry, you are urging me to chase success?”   Yes and no. If success is measured by your store of stuff or your social status, you are chasing an empty dream. A million advertisements try to convince us that "If you get more stuff, you will enjoy a better and happier life."  Most of us have realized that the more stuff we have, the less time we have to  enjoy it because we work harder to keep it all. The wisdom of the Word challenges the lie of materialism. Jesus said, "Life is not defined by what you have, even if you have a lot!" (Luke 12.18 The Message)   On top of all that, even if we get a lot, someday we will leave it all behind. The government and our kids will divide the pile. The stuff nobody wants will end up at the Salvation Army or on the curb waiting for the garbage truck!

What if we focused on an entirely different goal?
What if instead of getting things we worked with the Spirit to become somebody of significance?

Real success in life is finding the smile of God, living within His plan. How?  Love! Not the syrupy, romantic thing that keeps Hollywood in business, but the bold, engaged, care for others shaped by the love of Jesus. Your day will end better if you work at helping another person feel the love of God, if you give worth and dignity to another, if you find a way to lift that person who is ready to give up. Remember, we do not stir up this love in our own strength. It is born in us by the Spirit when we accept God's offer of love by faith.  John reminds us that ‘we love because He loved us first!”

The best life is not a destiny but a path.  To borrow a word, we are ‘becomers.’  On a daily basis, we give away our prideful Self and surrender to the Spirit. Jesus says "If any of you wants to be my follower, you must turn from your selfish ways, take up your cross, and follow me. If you try to hang on to your life, you will lose it. But if you give up your life for my sake and for the sake of the Good News, you will save it." (Mark 8:34-35, NLT)

Believe me, there is real joy in that choice. John Ortberg (pastor and author) writes that "surrender is not passivity nor abdication. It is saying yes to God and life each day. It is accepting the gifts He has given to me - my body, my mind, my biorhythms, my energy. It is letting go of my envy or desire for what He has given to someone else. It is letting go of outcomes... Surrender is accepting reality ... the ultimate reality: I am a ceaseless being with an eternal destiny in God's great universe."  {When the Game Is Over, It All Goes Back Into the Box, 2007, Zondervan}  The deepest surrender, Ortberg says, grows out of the profound realization that I am not master of the game, Another is.

In our choice of surrender, God is able to direct us and will make us His partner in building the Kingdom of God. Sound too lofty? Is that grandiose? Not at all. It is our privileged place as children of the Heavenly Father. Can you imagine a life more significant than that?  What would life look like if instead of working to impress others or building a network of power to defend our rights, we chose humble service without needing thanks or applause? What if we measured “success” as being content to be useful to God with no expectation other than to find the joy of obedience?  I want, by the grace of God and the help of the Spirit, to live as a “becomer,” meaning that I will not remain where I was yesterday, nor will I lose myself in fantasies about tomorrow. Instead, I will pursuing Christ to become like Him today, with but one desire – that He shines through me.

Here’s a word from the Word. "For the Lord is the Spirit, and wherever the Spirit of the Lord is, there is freedom. So all of us who have had that veil (old sinful and self-centered ways) removed can see and reflect the glory of the Lord. And the Lord—who is the Spirit—makes us more and more like him as we are changed into his glorious image."  (2 Corinthians 3:17-18, NLT)
_________

Take My Life And Let It Be (Hendon)

Take my life and let it be
Consecrated Lord to Thee
Take my moments and my days
Let them flow in ceaseless praise
Let them flow in ceaseless praise

Take my hands and let them move
At the impulse of Thy love
Take my feet and let them be
Swift and beautiful for Thee
Swift and beautiful for Thee

Take my will and make it Thine
It shall be no longer mine
Take my heart it is Thine own
It shall be Thy royal throne
It shall be Thy royal throne

Take my love my Lord I pour
At Thy feet its treasure store
Take myself and I will be
Ever only all for Thee
Ever only all for Thee

Frances Ridley Havergal | Henri Abraham Cesar Malan
© Words: Public Domain

Faith Discovery Church

No comments: