Tuesday, May 30, 2017

A Treasure




In 2008, just a few months before he died, my Dad gave me a ring that he had worn since 1953! My mother had given it to him at the time of their engagement. A couple of years ago I lost it.  I was angry at myself. There was genuine sorrow at the loss, too. Though not of great value, to me that ring is an irreplaceable treasure because of the sentiment attached to it.  My search was frantic. A day or two later, the lost treasure turned up -in a shoe in my closet.  Apparently somehow I knocked it from the top of the clothes dresser and it fell into that hiding place. In the moment that it was presented to me again, my sadness turned into real joy. That episode revealed the depth of my attachment to me.

There is another treasure in my life of far greater value;  the relationship with my Father God that I am privileged to know because of the grace of Jesus Christ. On those occasions when I break that fellowship with sinful willfulness or careless choices, I feel a real sense of loss, truly sorrowful for treating that treasure with something less than the care He deserves!  I realize, in those moments, the richness of life that I find in knowing Him, living while enveloped with His Spirit, with love, joy, peace, and hope.

Jesus reminds us we are invited to make Him our King, accepting His rule. Being a citizen of that spiritual kingdom is not a duty, nor does it lead us to a constricted life. That life, wholly new, is a thing to be treasured! He says, “God’s kingdom is like a treasure hidden in a field for years and then accidentally found by a trespasser. The finder is ecstatic—what a find!—and proceeds to sell everything he owns to raise money and buy that field. “Or, God’s kingdom is like a jewel merchant on the hunt for excellent pearls. Finding one that is flawless, he immediately sells everything and buys it." (Matthew 13:44-46, The Message)

A treasure worth more than all others in life is how Jesus describes our knowing Him.  Is He that to you?  I implore you to think deeply about how much you value Jesus and the grace freely given to you.  For some, it would appear that Christ Jesus is more trinket than treasure, a mere trivial pleasure.

The word from the Word invites us into the richness of the kingdom, a place where we find the eternal treasure. The paradox is that in giving ourselves away, we find all we could ever need or desire – in Him!  "Seek the Kingdom of God above all else, and he will give you everything you need. “So don’t be afraid, little flock. For it gives your Father great happiness to give you the Kingdom. “Sell your possessions and give to those in need. This will store up treasure for you in heaven! And the purses of heaven never get old or develop holes. Your treasure will be safe; no thief can steal it and no moth can destroy it. Wherever your treasure is, there the desires of your heart will also be." (Luke 12:31-34, NLT)

“Immeasurably more than all we ask or imagine.” (Ephesians 3:20) What a treasure.
___________

Jesus You Are My Life

You are my life
Oh precious Christ
You are to me
The pearl of greatest price

My love for You will never die
Jesus You are my life

I come to You
I run to You
There's no greater joy
Than knowing You

Oh holy fire
Love's purest light
Burn all desires till
You are my one delight

Oh conquering King
Conquer my heart
And make of me
A pleasing gift to God

My love for You will never die
Jesus You are my life

Steve Fry © 1994 Word Music, LLC (a div. of Word Music Group, Inc.)
Universal Music - Brentwood Benson Publishing (Admin. by Brentwood-Benson Music Publishing, Inc.)
CCLI License # 810055

No comments: