Friday, October 09, 2015

The Book - does it own you?



Just about the first thing I do each morning is to open my Bible.  From the inspired Text, I am instructed about life, see God reveal Who He is, and gain wisdom.  Some passages are beloved; for example, the amazing prayer in Ephesians 3 that includes this mind-blowing line -" I pray that you, being rooted and established in love, may have power, together with all the saints, to grasp how wide and long and high and deep is the love of Christ, and to know this love that surpasses knowledge-that you may be filled to the measure of all the fullness of God." (Ephesians 3:17-19, NIV)  Imagine - little, finite me overflowing with the Presence of Almighty God - and that is what that passage promises!

The Bible shows me my true identity.  Some may say I am just an organized set of carbon atoms, a random creature, existing for a few short years on planet Earth before I disappear.  Ah, but God says something entirely different.  He tells me that I am a being of spectacular worth. He gives me a home in His Presence, where I will fully realize what faith has only allowed me to see in outline form at this time. Where did I learn that?  The Bible!

The Bible is NOT a magic book. It is NOT easy to understand, yet it is accessible to anyone who will allow the Spirit to teach him. To own the Truth, we must study it carefully, approaching the Word with reverence. "You have been taught the holy Scriptures from childhood, and they have given you the wisdom to receive the salvation that comes by trusting in Christ Jesus. All Scripture is inspired by God and is useful to teach us what is true and to make us realize what is wrong in our lives. It straightens us out and teaches us to do what is right. It is God's way of preparing us in every way, fully equipped for every good thing God wants us to do." (2 Timothy 3:14-17, NLT)

Are you one of those people who owns a dozen Bibles, has the app on your phone, but who seldom reads it?  Does the Word seem beyond you?

I want to encourage you to REJECT the lie that says, "You cannot understand it."   If you have trouble reading, get the app (https://www.youversion.com/) that will read the Word to you!  Commit yourself to a church where the pastor teaches God's Word in a way that connects the ancient text to the present with sound interpretation.  Don't neglect the Word.  Near the top of my concerns for the Church is that so many Christians are not 'people of the Book' and that they choose to receive the Scripture only second-hand, through preachers, bloggers, and books.  

Read it for yourself.  
It is not my custom to 'sell' things in this daily devotion, but recently a 'book' showed up on my desk.  It is called The Message 100. (http://themessage100.com) NavPress has taken the contemporary language version of the Holy Scripture and arranged it into 100 readings that follow a chronological sequence.  In just three months, reading for about 15 minutes a day, you can make your way from Genesis to Revelation. I urge you to get a copy and commit yourself (send me an email and let me know you are doing this - Pastor@FaithDiscovery.com) and I will pray for you!


May this be your prayer, Christian.
"I will obey your decrees; do not utterly forsake me. How can a young man keep his way pure? By living according to your word. I seek you with all my heart; do not let me stray from your commands. I have hidden your word in my heart that I might not sin against you.
 Praise be to you, O LORD; teach me your decrees.
With my lips I recount all the laws that come from your mouth.
I rejoice in following your statutes as one rejoices in great riches.
I meditate on your precepts and consider your ways.
I delight in your decrees; I will not neglect your word." 
(Psalm 119:8-16, NIV)

No comments: