Monday, October 12, 2015

May those who fear Thee be glad when they see me!



Little Jason, a grand-nephew, came to visit yesterday. As the little guy, he’s 3, talked it was apparent that he is watching those around him, taking it all in. I took a picture of him and, using an app on my phone, put a patch on his eye and a hat on his head making him look like a pirate. His eyes sparkled with delight, his words spilling out in a tumble.  I’m just another strand in his web of relationships - family, friends, church – that are forming him, instilling values, teaching him how ‘the world works.’ I hope that those couple of hours we spent together made him feel valued, loved, cherished!

What kind of mark will you leave as you pass through the lives of others this week? Will they be built up or torn down, helped or hurt, value added or diminished? 

This line appears in the Word - "They that fear Thee will be glad when they see me." (Psalm 119:74, KJV)  I want that to be the truth, don’t you? The Psalm says we need to live in such a way that when others who love God watch us they will be brightened by our example.  Here’s the full context in an updated translation. "You made me; you created me. Now give me the sense to follow your commands. May all who fear you find in me a cause for joy, for I have put my hope in your word. I know, O Lord, that your regulations are fair; you disciplined me because I needed it. Now let your unfailing love comfort me, just as you promised me, your servant. Surround me with your tender mercies so I may live, for your instructions are my delight. Bring disgrace upon the arrogant people who lied about me; meanwhile, I will concentrate on your commandments. Let me be united with all who fear you, with those who know your laws. May I be blameless in keeping your decrees; then I will never be ashamed." (Psalm 119:73-80, NLT)

It is not our personal charisma that delights others, though being a pleasant person is a good thing. It is not our beauty or brilliance that makes others glad when they watch us. It is our faith, our rock steady hope that is founded on the solid Truth of God’s Word!  One of the worst disappointments in life, for me at least, is getting to know someone who appears to love God whole-heartedly, only to discover that their ‘faith’ is nothing more than a façade. When the pressure comes and the mask slips, there is no integrity, no depth, no strength. I feel such sorrow for that person.

The Psalm says that we make the people of God glad when we stay on course, hopeful, enduring discipline, comforted by the love of God.

In this new week, pray that your life will be filled with God, the Holy Spirit, so that "They that fear Thee will be glad when they see me."  Sometimes it is the little Jasons that are watching us, sometimes it is a babe in faith who needs a mentor.  Sometimes it is a seeker for whom we are the only representative of Jesus they know.  Oh, Lord, create the depth of character, the kind of faith in us that makes this true - "They that fear Thee will be glad when they see me."

Here is a word from the Word. Let us live it this week. "And God is able to make all grace abound to you, so that in all things at all times, having all that you need, you will abound in every good work." (2 Corinthians 9:8, NIV) "Because of the service by which you have proved yourselves, men will praise God for the obedience that accompanies your confession of the gospel of Christ, and for your generosity in sharing with them and with everyone else. And in their prayers for you their hearts will go out to you, because of the surpassing grace God has given you." (2 Corinthians 9:13-14, NIV)
___________

Watching You

Drivin' through town just my boy and me,
With a 'Happy Meal' in his booster seat,
Knowin' that he couldn't have the toy ‘til his nuggets were gone.

A green traffic light turned straight to red,
I hit in my brakes and mumbled under my breath,
His fries went a flyin' and his orange drink covered his lap.

Well, then my 4 year old said a 4 letter word.
It started with 'S' and I was concerned.
So I said, “Son, now where'd you learn to talk like that?”

He said, “I've been watching you, Dad. Aint that cool?
I'm your buckaroo, I want to be like you,
And eat all my food, and grow as tall as you are.”
We got cowboy boots and camo pants,
Yeah, were just alike, hey, aint we, Dad?
I want to do everything you do,
So I've been watching you"

We got back home and I went to the barn.
I bowed my head and I prayed real hard.
Said, “Lord, please help me help my stupid self.”

Just this side of bedtime later that night,
Turnin' on my sons Scooby-doo night light.
He crawled out of bed and he got down on his knees,
He closed his little eyes, folded his little hands
Spoke to God like he was talkin' to a friend.
And I said, “Son, now where'd you learn to pray like that?”

He said, “I've been watching you, Dad aint that cool?
I'm your buckaroo, I want to be like you,
And eat all my food, and grow as tall as you are.
We like fixin' things and holding momma's hand.
Yeah, were just alike, hey, aint we Dad?
I want to do everything you do.
So I've been watching you"

With tears in my eyes I wrapped him in a hug.
Said, “My little bear is growin' up.”
And he said, "But when I'm big
I'll still know what to do,
Cause I've been watching you, Dad aint that cool?
I'm your buckaroo, I want to be like you,
And eat all my food, and grow as tall as you are"

"By then I'll be strong as superman,
We’ll be just alike, hey, won't we Dad?
When I can do everything you do,
'Cause I've been watching you"


Songwriters
WHITE, BRIAN GENE / ATKINS, RODNEY A. / DEAN, STEVEN A.

Published by
Lyrics © Universal Music Publishing Group, UNIVERSAL MUSIC PUB GROUP, MIKE CURB MUSIC

No comments: