Friday, October 16, 2015

Lord, I want to know YOU

In a deep bass voice, the TV preacher speaks in certain terms about the future. He ‘advises’ the President, holds forth on the economy of these United States, all with an attitude of complete certainty. I wonder if that same total confidence that he projects in his pulpit grips him in the privacy of his study?  Over the years he has been wrong on many things but not once have I heard him admit it! Those who are so certain they know all of the will of the Lord all of the time are, to me anyway, guilty of a terrible kind of arrogance.  A phrase from the Word comes to mind - "Holding the mystery of the faith in a pure conscience." (1 Timothy 3:9, KJV)  I know that Jesus saved me, that He promises me a home in Heaven, and that He will return to reveal His kingdom.  I do not know when, nor do I know exactly how.  That is why my life is a walk of faith!
“Jerry, if you live with such mystery, what anchors you?” you might ask. My Rock is not a ‘what’ but rather “Who!”   "I know whom I have believed, and am convinced that he is able to guard what I have entrusted to him for that day." (2 Timothy 1:12, NIV) Knowing WHO God is allows me to give up the need to know the 'why' all things happen.  These days, when death hovers near, when life is lived not in months, but day to day, it is not explanations I seek, but rather the Presence of my Father.  Some want to make sense of their pain, their difficulties, with clear lines of ‘cause and effect.’  What God is doing is wrapped up in the magnificence of His sovereign will.  He is not confused nor is He merely valiantly trying to cope with chaos. He operates at a level that my finite mind cannot begin to understand.  It is enough for me to simply know, "God is here, with us, now!"  
Worship and wonder are closely related. We will sense God's Presence more readily if and when we learn to 'wonder.' The dryness of much in the practice of Christianity is the result of reducing worship to theological concepts and empty liturgy, hurrying through the forms without allowing for the Spirit to touch us.  It is a tragic mistake to turn the 'wonder-full' truths of the Bible tells into human sized packages of doctrine. Christians do not have much time for mystery these days. They love the TV preacher who ‘knows’ exactly what God will do at all times, in every situation.  "Preacher get me saved. Make me good. Give me three steps to being better at ...."  But life isn't that simple. There is an awesome mystery that God allows to exist around us which we can only appreciate if we will allow ourselves to wonder.
Surrender to Him and let your heart be captivated by wonder at the Majesty of the Almighty!  
Meditate on this Psalm today. May the Spirit give you wings to soar!
"I will praise You, O Lord, with my whole heart; I will tell of all Your marvelous works. 
I will be glad and rejoice in You; I will sing praise to Your name, O Most High.
… But the Lord shall endure forever; He has prepared His throne for judgment. 
He shall judge the world in righteousness,
And He shall administer judgment for the peoples in uprightness.
The Lord also will be a refuge for the oppressed, 
A refuge in times of trouble.
And those who know Your name will put their trust in You; 
For You, Lord, have not forsaken those who seek You.
Sing praises to the Lord, who dwells in Zion! 
Declare His deeds among the people.
…Have mercy on me, O Lord!
Consider my trouble from those who hate me, 
You who lift me up from the gates of death, 
That I may tell of all Your praise In the gates of the daughter of Zion.
I will rejoice in Your salvation.
… For the needy shall not always be forgotten; 
The expectation of the poor shall not perish forever. 
Arise, O Lord, Do not let man prevail; 
Let the nations be judged in Your sight. 
Put them in fear, O Lord, 
That the nations may know themselves to be but men." 
(Psalm 9, NKJV)
_________________________
Holy Spirit
There's nothing worth more, 
that will ever come close,
No thing can compare, 
You're our living hope-
Your Presence.

I've tasted and seen
of the sweetest of loves,
Where my heart becomes free
and my shame is undone,
In Your Presence, Lord.

Holy Spirit, You are welcome here!
Come flood this place and fill the atmosphere.
Your glory, God, is what our hearts long for,
To be overcome by Your Presence, Lord.

Let us become more aware of Your Presence.
Let us experience the glory of Your goodness.

Bryan Torwalt | Katie Torwalt
© 2011 Capitol CMG Genesis (Admin. by Capitol CMG Publishing)
Jesus Culture Music (Admin. by Capitol CMG Publishing)
CCLI License # 810055

Jerry D. Scott, Pastor FAITH DISCOVERY CHURCH

No comments: