Tuesday, June 10, 2014

Power up!



At the end of October, 2012, Hurricane Sandy swept up the East Coast of the United States. About 10 PM on 10/29, the power went out.  Millions of people were suddenly disconnected from the grid. At our home, due to snapped wires and downed transformers, we were off line for 13 days.  Thankfully, just days before the storm an electrician had installed a generator hookup that enabled us to run our well, our kitchen, and our basic necessities.  I cannot imagine trying to live without running water, refrigeration, and lighting for 13 days!  Could I? Of course. Do I want to? Not a chance. 

We are completely dependent on the electrical grid. Our productive, wired, climate-controlled world demands a steady flow of power, yet, few of us give even a passing thought to electrical power until it stops. It is just one of those things we assume will always be there in plentiful supply.

The Power of the Spirit is flowing into your life! Do you keep the connection strong?  Christian, have you become so accustomed to the peace and power of the Spirit flowing into your life that you just take Him for granted day by day?   

Read this prayer (one of my favorite passages in the Bible) again noting the references to ‘power.’ "For this reason I kneel before the Father, from whom his whole family in heaven and on earth derives its name. I pray that out of his glorious riches he may strengthen you with power through his Spirit in your inner being, so that Christ may dwell in your hearts through faith.

And I pray that you, being rooted and established in love, may have power, together with all the saints, to grasp how wide and long and high and deep is the love of Christ, and to know this love that surpasses knowledge—that you may be filled to the measure of all the fullness of God. 

Now to him who is able to do immeasurably more than all we ask or imagine, according to his power that is at work within us, to him be glory in the church and in Christ Jesus throughout all generations, for ever and ever! Amen." (Ephesians 3:14-21, NIV)    

The Spirit empowers us to live for Christ. 
The Spirit’s power secures us in the love of God. 
The Spirit gives us the power to overcome sin so that God’s radiance will be seen in us.

The Bible reminds us of our dependence on the Power. In Acts 1:8 (NLT) Jesus promised us that  "when the Holy Spirit has come upon you, you will receive power."

Power up and stay connected. Much like our electrical power that provides light, heat, cooling, and communication by silently flowing through the wires, the Spirit’s power is not flashy or noisy. He is just present making the ‘Christ life’ possible.  If love, peace, joy, patience, and perseverance are in short supply in your life, check the power!  IF you're not overcoming sin or sensing God's guidance perhaps you're not connected to the Power. Perhaps your ‘faith’ is just a religion based on self-discipline and/or a system of ethics.  Real Christians are powered up from the inside out!   Are you?

Here’s the word from the Word.  Make this your prayer and receive the power of the Person of the Spirit of God.
"I pray also that the eyes of your heart may be enlightened in order that you may know the hope to which he has called you, the riches of his glorious inheritance in the saints, and his incomparably great power for us who believe. That power is like the working of his mighty strength, which he exerted in Christ when he raised him from the dead and seated him at his right hand in the heavenly realms, far above all rule and authority, power and dominion, and every title that can be given, not only in the present age but also in the one to come. And God placed all things under his feet and appointed him to be head over everything for the church." (Ephesians 1:18-22, NIV)   Power to make the dead live. That’s His power in us.
____________

The Power Of Your Love

Lord, I come to You;
Let my heart be changed, renewed;
Flowing from the grace
That I found in You.
And Lord, I've come to know
The weaknesses I see in me
Will be stripped away,
By the pow'r of Your love.

Hold me close!
Let Your love surround me!
Bring me near,
Draw me to Your side.
And as I wait
I'll rise up like the eagle,
And I will soar with You,
Your Spirit leads me on,
In the pow'r of Your love.

Lord, unveil my eyes,
Let me see You, face to face;
The knowledge of Your love
As You live in me.
Lord, renew my mind
As Your will unfolds in my life,
In living ev'ry day,
By the pow'r of Your love.

Geoff Bullock
© 1992 Maranatha! Music (Admin. by Maranatha! Music (Capitol CMG))
Word Music, LLC * (Admin. by Word Music Group, Inc.)
CCLI License # 810055

No comments: