Monday, June 09, 2014

Take the LONG view


Most of the books I read are 'one-timers,' meaning I never pick them up again. There is one book in my library that shows the wear of many reading. Published in 1980- A Long Obedience in the Same Direction,  with the sub-title; Discipleship in an Instant Society- is a little volume of timeless inspiration based on Psalms 120-134, the Songs of Ascent.  Ancient Jews sang these Psalms as they made pilgrimage to Jerusalem, which was on higher ground than the surrounding terrain. Hence the ‘songs of ascent.’  But, they came to be descriptions of the life lived facing upwards, one aimed at entering the presence of God.

Unlike so much devotional literature written today, full of smiles and nice little anecdotes about children and puppies, these Psalms get to the gritty part of life; the hard stuff of the pilgrim way. Take a look at one of them.

"A song for pilgrims ascending to Jerusalem.
From my earliest youth my enemies have persecuted me. Let all Israel repeat this:
From my earliest youth my enemies have persecuted me, but they have never defeated me.
My back is covered with cuts, as if a farmer had plowed long furrows.
But the Lord is good;
he has cut me free from the ropes of the ungodly.
May all who hate Jerusalem be turned back in shameful defeat.
May they be as useless as grass on a rooftop, turning yellow when only half grown, ignored by the harvester, despised by the binder.
And may those who pass by refuse to give them this blessing:
“The Lord bless you; we bless you in the Lord’s name.”
(Psalm 129, NLT)

The Psalm reflects the curious state of the godly; afflicted, yet hopeful;  crushed, but not destroyed.  It speaks to the anger that pulses in us when we are mistreated and falsely accused, all the while reminding us that 'the Lord is good.' The wisdom of the Lord does not ask us to enter into a Zen-like disconnect from the reality of life, nor to a fatalistic resignation to whatever happens. Instead, we are taught to pray and hope for vindication of his cause, trusting the Almighty to 'turn back his enemies in shameful defeat.'

Perseverance IS NOT giving up, laying down to be a doormat, or just 'putting on the game face.' Perseverance is a life that is lived in the 'now and not yet,' that, in the middle of the mess that is life for so many and so often, holds onto the faithfulness of God, that sees that He is good, that holds onto hope of pain’s defeat and rest in His Presence!

Eugene Peterson writes at the conclusion of that chapter in his book: "Christian discipleship is a decision to walk in His ways, steadily and firmly, and then finding that the Way integrates all our interests, passions, and gifts, our human needs and our eternal aspirations. It is the way of life we are created for. There are endless challenges to keep us on the growing edge of faith; there is always a righteous God with us to make it possible for us to persevere."

As this new week begins, meditate on that pivotal phrase of Psalm 129:  “The Lord is Good!”  Refuse to become a victim. Allow yourself no excuse for retreat or complaint. Instead, take hold of the hand of the Lord and determine to live ‘a long obedience in the same direction.’  Here’s the word from the Word. Own it as your declaration.
"Such a large crowd of witnesses is all around us! So we must get rid of everything that slows us down, especially the sin that just won’t let go. And we must be determined to run the race that is ahead of us. We must keep our eyes on Jesus, who leads us and makes our faith complete. He endured the shame of being nailed to a cross, because he knew that later on he would be glad he did. Now he is seated at the right side of God’s throne! So keep your mind on Jesus, who put up with many insults from sinners. Then you won’t get discouraged and give up." (Hebrews 12:1-3, CEV)

_______________

Lift Me Up Above The Shadows

Lift me up above the shadows,
Plant my feet on higher ground.
Lift me up above the clouds, Lord,
Where the pure sunshine is found.
Lift me up above my weakness,
Lift me up into Thy strength,
Lift me up above the shadows,
‘Till I stand with Thee at length.

Lift me up above the shadows,
Lift me up and let me stand,
On the mountain tops of glory,
Let me dwell in Beulah land!

Lift me up above the shadows
Out of sorrow into joy,
Lift me up above my grief, Lord,
Give me gold for my alloy.
Then when death must claim my spirit,
And the storms of life are past,
Lift me up above the shadows,
‘Till in heav'n I stand at last.


Herbert Buffum | R.E. Winsett
© 1946 R.E. Winsett Music Company (Admin. by Sacred Selections R.E. Winsett LLC)
CCLI License # 810055

No comments: