Friday, April 11, 2014

A Simpler Faith for a Complex World



A Simpler Faith for a Complex World

My life is organized around one great principle:  God, the Creator, is King and Lord.  He is not remote, a distant deity.  Through Jesus Christ, His Son, I know Him, living as His child.  His Holy Spirit lives in me, empowering me to serve His purposes.  Each Sunday I join the congregation in the confession that forms the foundation of life; “I believe in God the Father, Almighty, Maker of heaven and earth….”   The complexity of life challenges my faith almost daily.  Disappointment, illness, sin,  and human cruelty in all its various forms,  tear at the borders of my faith.  I am not above wondering why the God I love allows sin and suffering to continue to extract such a heavy toll on humanity. But, the choice is made - I belong to God and, by His grace, I will continue to love and serve Him for the rest of my days.

In days past, my faith involved many clauses and reservations.  It was more like a complicated contract than a simple statement! I worked at making faith 'fit' the complexity of the world around me. Many prayers were offered up around the question - 'why?'  Some found answers over time. Many remain and others have arisen. But, I now live with a deep abiding sense of God's Presence.  No, my life is not simpler! If anything, it is even more complex now than ever. I carry a greater load of responsibility for more people and a larger organization than I have at any time in life. Decisions that I make or in which I am a participant have a direct effect on the lives of others. That is, at least partially, why I have come to a faith that is more distilled around this core truth- Jesus cares and loves me, therefore, I can love and care for others.

I feel no need to negotiate with God, to beg His favor. I am more convinced that "God is for me, not against me." I convinced that nothing that comes my way is too big for Him, surprises Him, or is able to overcome His gracious love for me.  You might wonder if I choose to ignore reality, or if I have retreated into a denial of the pain or disappointment that exists all around me.  Not at all. I feel the pain, cry real tears, and do battle with sin, self, and Satan.  Indeed, Luther is right that this is a world with ‘devils filled and threatens to undo us!'   

The greater truth for me is that I am a subject of the King whose power has triumphed over sin, Hell, and death. So I set my hope in Christ Jesus. This is my confession: "I know whom I have believed, and am convinced that he is able to guard what I have entrusted to him for that day. What you heard from me, keep as the pattern of sound teaching, with faith and love in Christ Jesus. Guard the good deposit that was entrusted to you—guard it with the help of the Holy Spirit who lives in us." (2 Timothy 1:12-14, NIV)

Choose simple faith that allows for mystery, that accepts that He is God, that He is good, that He is love.  Learn the Word. Understand the core Truth of God's eternal nature, of the triumph of Christ, and of the Spirit's power.  Make the choice – daily – to put those things at the center of your life. Pry for the Sprit’s help in creating a faith that  does not change with the weather.  You will find rock-like stability in a confusing, complex world!

James reminds us of the importance of simple faith. "If you don’t know what you’re doing, pray to the Father. He loves to help. You’ll get his help, and won’t be condescended to when you ask for it. Ask boldly, believingly, without a second thought. People who "worry their prayers" are like wind-whipped waves. Don’t think you’re going to get anything from the Master that way, adrift at sea, keeping all your options open." (James 1:5-8, The Message)

There are still many complex questions around the 'what, when, where, why, and how' of life!  Here’s our word from the Word,  "Since, then, you have been raised with Christ, set your hearts on things above, where Christ is seated at the right hand of God. Set your minds on things above, not on earthly things. For you died, and your life is now hidden with Christ in God. When Christ, who is your life, appears, then you also will appear with him in glory." (Colossians 3:1-4, NIV)

______________________________________
Oceans (Where Feet May Fail)
(click to listen)

You call me out upon the waters
The great unknown where feet may fail
And there I find You in the mystery
In oceans deep my faith will stand

And I will call upon Your name
And keep my eyes above the waves
When oceans rise
My soul will rest in Your embrace
For I am Yours and You are mine

Your grace abounds in deepest waters
Your sov'reign hand will be my guide
Where feet may fail and fear surrounds me
You've never failed and You won't start now

Oh and You are mine oh
Spirit lead me where my trust is without borders
Let me walk upon the waters
Wherever You would call me
Take me deeper than my feet could ever wander
And my faith will be made stronger
In the presence of my Saviour

I will call upon Your name
Keep my eyes above the waves
My soul will rest in Your embrace
I am Yours and You are mine

Joel Houston | Matt Crocker | Salomon Ligthelm
© 2012 Hillsong Music Publishing (Admin. by EMI Christian Music Publishing)
CCLI License # 810055

No comments: