Tuesday, April 08, 2014

You'd better believe it!



“And they lived happily ever after,” is the famed end to many tales.  The prince finds his princess, Dorothy goes home to Kansas.  My favorite present TV drama, “Blue Bloods,” about a family in NYC law enforcement, wraps up each episode with the bad guy in custody, with a wise word from Dad, and the extended family around the dinner table saying a prayer.  I love the emphasis on faith and family.  But, I do not build my life on fairy tale ending or nice and neat plot line resolution.  Real life is much more complicated!

So where do I go for inspiration, for wisdom to make sense of my world?  The Word of God! 

Peter boldly assures us "we were not making up clever stories when we told you about the powerful coming of our Lord Jesus Christ. We saw his majestic splendor with our own eyes when he received honor and glory from God the Father. The voice from the majestic glory of God said to him, “This is my dearly loved Son, who brings me great joy.” We ourselves heard that voice from heaven when we were with him on the holy mountain. Because of that experience, we have even greater confidence in the message proclaimed by the prophets. You must pay close attention to what they wrote, for their words are like a lamp shining in a dark place—until the Day dawns, and Christ the Morning Star shines in your hearts. Above all, you must realize that no prophecy in Scripture ever came from the prophet’s own understanding, or from human initiative. No, those prophets were moved by the Holy Spirit, and they spoke from God." (2 Peter 1:16-21, NLT)

The Word tells us that we are created by a loving God who is our Father. He designed the world for us, gave us freedom to choose to love or reject Him, offers us life in Christ, and promises to receive us into His home when life is over. Sounds like a fairy tale to some, but not to me! These are the words of life.  If I fall for the fables that insist I can only find real happiness in Self, I will sow the seeds that produce destruction. If I allow my mind to be captivated by the lie that I should give myself to accumulating treasure or power, I will die in disappointment, separated at the moment of death from my gods.

Can you sing with the Psalmist, "Oh, how I love your instructions! I think about them all day long. Your commands make me wiser than my enemies, for they are my constant guide." (Psalm 119:97-98, NLT)?  Do you apply yourself to receiving the wisdom of God, praying for the Spirit to unfold the principles for life that lead to eternal life? 

What we believe matters.  How we live grows out of what we think. What we think grows from what we believe to be the truth! There are many beliefs, but there is only one Truth. I write that with the deepest sense of humility, understanding that truth is revealed by the Spirit.  God’s Truth can be grasped by a child who responds to the invitation of the Savior and at the same time holds the mind of the scholar enthralled.

Here is the word
“How can a young person live a clean life?  By carefully reading the map of your Word.
 I’m single-minded in pursuit of you;  don’t let me miss the road signs you’ve posted.
 I’ve banked your promises in the vault of my heart so I won’t sin myself bankrupt.
 Be blessed, God;  train me in your ways of wise living.
 I’ll transfer to my lips  all the counsel that comes from your mouth;
 I delight far more in what you tell me about living than in gathering a pile of riches.
 I ponder every morsel of wisdom from you,  I attentively watch how you’ve done it.
 I relish everything you’ve told me of life, I won’t forget a word of it.”

The Message -Psalm 119:8-16
__________

Word Of God Speak

I'm finding myself at a loss for words
And the funny thing is, it's okay.
The last thing I need is to be heard,
But to hear what You would say.

Word of God, speak.
Would You pour down like rain,
Washing my eyes to see Your majesty?
To be still and know,
That You're in this place,
Please let me stay and rest
In Your holiness.

I'm finding myself in the midst of You,
Beyond the music, beyond the noise.
All that I need is to be with You,
And in the quiet hear Your voice,

I'm finding myself at a loss for words
And the funny thing is it's okay

Bart Millard | Pete Kipley
© 2002 Wordspring Music, LLC (a div. of Word Music Group, Inc.)
Simpleville Music (Admin. by Music Services, Inc.)
CCLI License # 810055

No comments: