Friday, November 01, 2013

Representing Jesus, how well?



Representing Jesus, how well?

One of the privileges that a Pastor enjoys is being part of the emotional moments, the crises of life, with those in his care. 
A baby is born and we celebrate. 
A death occurs and we comfort. 
Marriage gets stormy and we counsel. 
Disappointment comes and we console. 
Questions arise and we try to help the troubled work through them.
We connect those we love with the One who loves them most. 
In this, we are like Jesus, the Lead Pastor.  He does not run from people's needs.  He shares their lives, steps into the fears, tears, storms, joy, and pain.  His Presence makes a difference!  

In Mark’s Gospel, there are two stories of His compassion that show me the depth of His care.  In chapter 5, we meet a woman sick for years who is too fearful to face Jesus so she just tries to touch Him.  When she succeeded, her faith allowed her to experience healing. Jesus sensed the touch and when she came out of the crowd trembling with fear, He gently called her "Daughter!" and then told her that her faith was rewarded.   Wrapped around that little drama, we meet a desperate father whose daughter lay dying.  Jairus pressed Jesus to come to his home, but the delay on the way brought word she died.  Jesus' words are so tender and challenging - "Don't be afraid, just believe!"  And he saw his daughter restored.

Shepherding is never about me. It’s about those I serve. To the extent that I become invisible in the process of connecting people with the grace, peace, and wisdom of God, I have done my priestly and pastoral duty well. It's all about Jesus Christ!   

Our Lord wants to do His work through you, too.  One of the issues that hinders ministry is the mistaken notion that it is about you.  Ministry is not about giving anyone of us a sense of importance;  it's not about gaining affirmation; and it's not about creating a list of wins and losses.  We simply represent Jesus Christ, letting the Spirit work through us as we share life with others.  The Word says, " this is the secret: Christ lives in you, and this is your assurance that you will share in his glory. So everywhere we go, we tell everyone about Christ. We warn them and teach them with all the wisdom God has given us, for we want to present them to God, perfect in their relationship to Christ. I work very hard at this, as I depend on Christ’s mighty power that works within me." (Colossians 1:27-29, NLT)

As you walk through this day, take an active interest in the people you among whom you live and work. Look for ways to be a minister of the Gospel and connect them with Jesus.  You will be amazed at what He does for them.  Here's a word from the Word.  I pray it challenges you to a renewed sense of ministry.  ". . . for you are a chosen people. You are royal priests, a holy nation, God’s very own possession. As a result, you can show others the goodness of God, for he called you out of the darkness into his wonderful light."  (1 Peter 2:9-10, NLT)
________________________

Touch Through Me

Touch through me, Holy Spirit,
Touch through me.
Let my hands reach out to others,
Touch through me.
There's a lonely soul somewhere,
Needing just one friend to care,
Touch through me, Holy Spirit,
Touch through me.

Love through me, Holy Spirit,
Love through me.
I will be my brother's keeper,
Love through me.
Hearts are bleeding deep inside
Love can dry the weeping eyes,
Love through me, Holy Spirit,
Love through me.

Flow through me, Holy Spirit,
Flow through me.
Like a river in the desert
Flow through me.
Springing fountain, healing stream,
Living water, pure and clean.
Flow through me, Holy Spirit,
Flow through me.

My hands will be Your hands
Reaching out to others.
My lips will not be slothful
Lord to speak.
I will be that Good Samaritan
To someone else in need.
I will be Your house to dwell in
Live through me.

Dottie Rambo
© 1981 New Spring (Admin. by Brentwood-Benson Music Publishing, Inc.)
CCLI License # 810055

No comments: