Monday, October 28, 2013

NO more tears, all things new



“And they all lived happily ever after…” is a great line for kid’s fairy tales. We adults are a little more sophisticated but we still enjoy a story where the plot resolves with a win for the good guys, don’t we?  Friday night, Bev and I went to see “Captain Phillips,” which tells the story of the man who was captain of the Maersk Alabama, the container ship that pirates seized in 2009 off the coast of Somalia. For two hours, we wondered how the good captain would survive his ordeal at the hand of desperate, frightened men.  As the final scene plays, there is a release of emotion, some in the theatre even crying! (Yes, I’ll admit to some moisture forming around my eyes, too!)

The Bible shows us the final scenes of earth’s history in the book of the Revelation.  The good guys win!  John, given a vision by the Spirit, writes: "I saw the Holy City, the new Jerusalem, coming down out of heaven from God, prepared as a bride beautifully dressed for her husband. And I heard a loud voice from the throne saying, “Now the dwelling of God is with men, and he will live with them. They will be his people, and God himself will be with them and be their God. He will wipe every tear from their eyes. There will be no more death or mourning or crying or pain, for the old order of things has passed away.” He who was seated on the throne said, “I am making everything new!” Then he said, “Write this down, for these words are trustworthy and true.” He said to me: “It is done. I am the Alpha and the Omega, the Beginning and the End. To him who is thirsty I will give to drink without cost from the spring of the water of life. He who overcomes will inherit all this, and I will be his God and he will be my son." (Revelation 21:2-7, NIV)

This is my destiny and hopefully, yours, too. How do I know that I will enjoy these eternal joys? I can tell you this; it’s not because I am a superior human being, a wonderful man, or better than other people.  I am a recipient of God’s grace, have set my faith in Christ alone. My salvation is secured, not by my goodness, but by His promise. "God is so rich in mercy, and he loved us so very much, that even while we were dead because of our sins, he gave us life when he raised Christ from the dead. (It is only by God’s special favor that you have been saved!)" (Ephesians 2:4-5, NLT) "God saved you by his special favor when you believed. And you can’t take credit for this; it is a gift from God. Salvation is not a reward for the good things we have done, so none of us can boast about it." (Ephesians 2:8-9, NLT)  That might be a familiar passage, but it’s never old news!

The hope of Heaven gives peace to me today. The promise of standing before the Throne of God for His evaluation and to receive a reward sobers and encourages me in equal measure. No, I don’t worry about Hell. (Yes, I believe there is a place of eternal separation from God, the horror of which is beyond comprehension. An honest reading of the Scripture confronts us with this terrible fact.)  But the fear of Hell and death are erased by the gift of life I have in Christ Jesus.  Knowing the ‘end of the story,’ causes me to live today with anticipation; faithfully, in love, and with a prayer to live a holy life that honors the One who loves me most.

Here’s the word from the Word. "Concerning this salvation, … even angels long to look into these things. Therefore, prepare your minds for action; be self-controlled; set your hope fully on the grace to be given you when Jesus Christ is revealed." (1 Peter 1:10-14, NIV)
________

Sing the wondrous love of Jesus,
Sing His mercy and His grace.
In the mansions, bright and blessed,
He'll prepare for us a place.

Let us then be true and faithful,
Trusting serving ev'ry day.
Just one glimpse of Him in glory
Will the toils of life repay.

Onward to the prize before us,
Soon His beauty we'll behold.
Soon the pearly gates will open
We shall tread the streets of gold.

When we all get to heaven,
What a day of rejoicing that will be!
When we all see Jesus,
We'll sing and shout the victory!

Eliza Edmunds Stites Hewitt | Emily Divine Wilson
© Words: Public Domain

No comments: