Thursday, October 31, 2013

Blood, Guts, and Ghouls




“Horror flicks” noted for copious amounts of terror, blood, and torture are popular entertainment fare.  Apparently some of us get a kick out of being scared silly while we watch the work of psychopaths portrayed on film.  Defenders of the genre remind me that what is on the screen is not real. But, why make 'art' out of the kinds of things that actually do take place in hidden places? Which brings me to this day, not one of my favorite days on the calendar; the day of little witches at the front door, fake blood, destruction of property, and all things ugly!  Yes, it is Halloween, the time for fright and "fun."  

The day grew out of a Catholic holy day, All Saints Day, which falls on the first of November.  On that day, the martyrs and the dead are remembered with prayers. The eve of the day has morphed into a night of mischief and has become a time of death, horrors, and demons. I'm going to pass on the ‘fun.’  Unlike some Christians, my reason for passing up the celebration of Halloween is not fear of demons or worry about being tainted by evil. The power of the Resurrected Christ and the Spirit of God in me has replaced fear of the occult with peace and assurance.  No, I am not afraid, I just prefer to celebrate life!  There's enough evil, horror, and tragedy in the daily news. I just don't need to take further note of the ever-present death and sorrow that stalk this planet. Jesus Christ calls us to give life, light, hope, and joy to our worls.  Even death, the great enemy, loses the power to terrify Christians because in Him we already possess eternal life.  Jesus said, “I am the light of the world. Whoever follows me will never walk in darkness, but will have the light of life.”  (John 8:12, NIV)  My hope is that all Christians will be people of Light and Life in a culture of death and violence.

I'm not a crank. I'll meet the kids at the front door this evening with a sugary treat. But, throughout this day, I will be praying for the blessings of God to come to this broken, fallen world where there is so much suffering and sadness coming from the schemes of the Evil One.  Today I will look for ways to be a person who gives those blessings - in my words, in my attitudes, and in my actions.  My discipleship is much more focused on what I’m 'for' - not on what I'm against.  So, though I will not celebrate Halloween, I will stand for Jesus and for goodness! We should be noted for the rich and full lives we enjoy as a result of His love, rather than being known as cranky people who are always 'against' this or that.

Have you received the gift of His life? Then celebrate it! Do not give in to the Pharisees in the church that find every occasion to criticize, condemn, and carp on the sins of the world.  Instead, sing a new song! Make it about the glory of being one of God's own people.

Jesus wants us to live in joyful celebration. He says, “You’re here to be light, bringing out the God-colors in the world. God is not a secret to be kept. We’re going public with this, as public as a city on a hill. If I make you light-bearers, you don’t think I’m going to hide you under a bucket, do you? I’m putting you on a light stand. Now that I’ve put you there on a hilltop, on a light stand—shine! Keep open house; be generous with your lives. By opening up to others, you’ll prompt people to open up with God, this generous Father in heaven." (Matthew 5:14-16, The Message)
_______________________

All I once held dear,
Built my life upon,
All this world reveres,
And wars to own,
All I once thought gain
I have counted loss;
Spent and worthless now,
Compared to this.

Knowing You, Jesus,
knowing You,
There is no greater thing.
You're my all,
You're the best,
You're my joy,
my righteousness,
And I love You, Lord.

Now my heart's desire
Is to know You more,
To be found in You,
And known as Yours,
To possess by faith
What I could not earn;
All surpassing gift of righteousness.

Oh to know the power of
Your risen life,
And to know You in Your sufferings,
To become like You
In Your death, my Lord;
So with You to live, and never die.

Knowing You, Jesus,
knowing You,
There is no greater thing.
You're my all,
You're the best,
You're my joy,
my righteousness,
And I love You, Lord.

Knowing You - Kendrick, Graham
Copyright: 1993 Make Way Music (Admin. by Music Services)

No comments: