Tuesday, August 06, 2013

A Lesson from Chick-Fil-A


Serve When you're at Chick-Fil-A, which is a chain of fast food restaurants, you get this reply to your inquiries: "It's my pleasure." It's classy, different, and memorable. You won't hear the more common, "You're welcome," or "Come again." The owner of the chain emphasizes warm customer service which is as much a part of the success as the food. You will be treated well when you eat there. As you enter this day, will you do so looking to be served, or seeking opportunities to serve?

The Scripture teaches us to live with a servant's spirit, a genuine willingness to put the needs of others before our own. Those who do this find themselves much happier than those who are constantly demanding respect. When Jesus' disciples became obsessed with the pecking order in their group the Gospel says that He "called them together and said, "You know that in this world kings are tyrants, and officials lord it over the people beneath them. But among you it should be quite different. Whoever wants to be a leader among you must be your servant, and whoever wants to be first must become your slave. For even I, the Son of Man, came here not to be served but to serve others, and to give my life as a ransom for many." (Matthew 20:25-28, NLT)

Genuine service starts with a change in perspective, from 'me' to 'thee.' A person wrapped up in himself will not serve. He cannot because he does not see the needs that exist. He will walk right past the mess on the floor, not so much because he thinks he is too good to clean it up. He won't even see it. He will fail to offer encouragement to another, because he will not even see the pain in her face. A true servant will work to develop awareness of his environment, fine tuning his ability to read the emotions of others, and then he will actively move to serve.

Service is also shaped by a realignment of self-perception. The question is not, 'who will love me?' but rather, 'Because I am loved, to whom can I show love?' An insecure person will seldom serve well. He might serve with a motive of gaining affirmation, but that taints what he does. The moment he does not get the appreciation he seeks, he will become retaliatory. It's a story I have heard hundreds of times in my pastoral ministry. "Pastor, I'm not coming back to church. People there don't appreciate me. Mrs. Jones, for whom I've done so much, didn't even speak to me last Sunday." Or, "Pastor, I refuse to do (fill in the blank of ministry activity) anymore because I am just not appreciated. Others get thanks, but nobody even notices what I do." The person who is secure in the love of God, whose service to the Body of Christ is offered from a pure heart, who knows from Whom the greater reward comes, will not allow themselves such petty thoughts. IF they come, they will call them what they are, sin.

Service is liberating! There is real delight in knowing that someone will have a better day, that you have helped to lift the burden, that the world is just a fraction of degree better for your willingness to go beyond what is required to help somebody, encourage another, or complete a task.

Here's a word from the Word. Meditate on it, then go serve somebody. "To you who are ready for the truth, I say this: Love your enemies. Let them bring out the best in you, not the worst.When someone gives you a hard time, respond with the energies of prayer for that person.... If someone takes unfair advantage of you, use the occasion to practice the servant life. No more tit-for-tat stuff. Live generously."Here is a simple rule of thumb for behavior: Ask yourself what you want people to do for you; then grab the initiative and do it for them!... If you only give for what you hope to get out of it, do you think that's charity? The stingiest of pawnbrokers does that."I tell you, love your enemies. Help and give without expecting a return. You'll never-I promise-regret it. Live out this God-created identity the way our Father lives toward us, generously and graciously, even when we're at our worst.Our Father is kind; you be kind." (Luke 6:27-36, The Message)

______________

Make me a servant, humble and meek.
Lord, let me lift up, those who are weak.
And may the prayer of my heart always be;
Make me a servant, make me a servant,
Make me a servant today!

Kelly Willard
© 1982 Maranatha! Music (Admin. by Maranatha! Music)
CCCM Music (Admin. by Maranatha! Music)
Willing Heart Music (Admin. by Maranatha! Music)
CCLI License # 810055
 

No comments: