Friday, August 09, 2013

Spending or Investing?



Spending versus Investment

I love cars! In my lifetime, I estimate I have owned at least 25 different ones ranging from a tiny Miata to a huge Expedition.  This weakness for mobile novelty has cost me money that I could have used for better purposes, I’m sure. No matter how you look at it, a car (other than a collector’s item) is never an investment.  The moment a new vehicle is titled and driven off the dealer’s lot, it depreciates. Each month I set aside money for a purpose. I send it to my retirement account. It’s not nearly as exciting as buying yet another car, but over the years the money send to that account will grow in value. I spend on cars, I invest in my 401 (k) account.

Here’s my question for today. Are you spending or investing your life?  Are you building a treasure of relationships, people whose lives are improved because you exist? Or are you just alive, breathing, using up time chasing some excitement?

Jesus told a story about a man whose choices would be greatly admired by most Americans.  He was a good farmer who met with some great weather.  He enjoyed an amazing run of years of harvests that were huge! “He talked to himself: ‘What can I do? My barn isn’t big enough for this harvest.’ Then he said, ‘Here’s what I’ll do: I’ll tear down my barns and build bigger ones. Then I’ll gather in all my grain and goods, and I’ll say to myself, Self, you’ve done well! You’ve got it made and can now retire. Take it easy and have the time of your life!’” (Luke 12:17-19).  Sounds reasonable, right?  He had not stolen to gain his wealth. It was his and now he was going to spend it.  Isn’t the American way to accumulate a pile of resources, get the toys we want, free ourselves from obligation and start to spend time the way we want?

The Lord puts a shocking end on the story. “Just then God showed up and said, ‘Fool! Tonight you die. And your barnful of goods—who gets it?’ “That’s what happens when you fill your barn with Self and not with God.” (Luke 12:20-21, The Message)  He calls the Spender a Fool, which is strong language from the One who sees and knows everything, right down to the hidden motives of my heart.

Investors know the real value of their resources of time and money and they know how to calculate the true return. The Word offers this investment counsel: "Tell those rich in this world’s wealth to quit being so full of themselves and so obsessed with money, which is here today and gone tomorrow. Tell them to go after God, who piles on all the riches we could ever manage— to do good, to be rich in helping others, to be extravagantly generous. If they do that, they’ll build a treasury that will last, gaining life that is truly life. … Guard the treasure you were given! Guard it with your life. Avoid the talk-show religion…” (1 Timothy 6:17-20, The Message)

I recently read the story of Granny Brand, mother of Dr. Paul Brand, well-known author and physician in India. She was born into privilege in England but early in life was called to serve the poorest of South India, an amazing choice for a single woman of 1900!  She went and met a man who shared her call.  For nearly a decade they served there without a single convert.  But their love and dedication eventually proved the Gospel they taught and they led a growing community of Christians. At age 70, the widowed Granny Brand was told by her mission board that she had to go back to England. But, her heart was in India, so she bought a horse and continued to ride to remote villages bringing medical care to the poorest. She served for another 24 years!  Her son said of her, that “he noticed a spiritual strength she had not shown before. And he found her younger–not in her body, but in her spirit. She had a deeper joy and peace. “This is how to grow old,” her son wrote.” Allow everything else to fall away, until those around you see just love. They will also see your own life renewed and they will recognize the love to be the love of God.”

Are you spending or investing? Only you can make that choice. May the Spirit help you choose wisely. 

Here’s the word from the Word.  “Don’t store up treasures here on earth, where they can be eaten by moths and get rusty, and where thieves break in and steal. Store your treasures in heaven, where they will never become moth-eaten or rusty and where they will be safe from thieves. Wherever your treasure is, there your heart and thoughts will also be." (Matthew 6:19-21, NLT) - Jesus


No comments: