Thursday, April 11, 2013

My servant, Nebuchadnezzar

My servant, Nebuchadnezzar

"Lord, I want to trust You, to follow You with my whole heart, but this doesn't make any sense!" Have you ever prayed that way? I found myself on my knees in the sanctuary recently in prayer and working through that very thought. It would make a nice story to say that an angel showed up and sorted it all out for me, but that did not happen. I could tell you that I got up from my prayer refreshed and full of sweet peace, but that would be untrue, too. What did happen was re-discovery of the 27th chapter of Jeremiah!

A few years after Nebuchadnezzar first invaded Jerusalem and carried off Judah's king and nobles to Babylon, envoys of nations surrounding Judah gathered to consider forming an alliance and seeking military backing from Egypt to rebel against Nebuchadnezzar.   It seemed like a reasonable plan, since he was pre-occupied with internal strife and issues in the eastern part of his empire. At last, the puppet king, Zedekiah, thought it was the right time to free his land. There was a shared assumption that this had to be God's will! 

Yoke Jeremiah showed up at the council wearing a yoke on his neck claiming to have a message from God that nobody in that room wanted to hear. "Now I will give your countries to King Nebuchadnezzar of Babylon, who is my servant. I have put everything, even the wild animals, under his control. All the nations will serve him and his son and his grandson until his time is up. But then many nations and great kings will conquer and rule over Babylon. So you must submit to Babylon's king and serve him; put your neck under Babylon's yoke! I will punish any nation that refuses to be his slave, says the Lord. I will send war, famine, and disease upon that nation until Babylon has conquered it." (Jeremiah 27:6-8, NLT)  Jeremiah claimed that the Lord regarded that pagan king as 'His servant!' He also claimed that God wanted them to voluntarily submit themselves to Babylon. He went on to tell the priests that they should prepare themselves for sorrow because the Temple was going to desecrated, and God was going to allow it! "For this is what the Lord Almighty says about the bronze pillars in front of the Temple, the bronze Sea in the Temple courtyard, the bronze water carts, and all the other ceremonial articles. ... Yes, this is what the Lord Almighty, the God of Israel, says about the precious things kept in the Temple and in the palace of Judah's king: They will all be carried away to Babylon and will stay there until I send for them, says the Lord. But someday I will bring them back to Jerusalem again." (Jeremiah 27:19-22, NLT)

None of this fit what they believed to be true about God and His relationship with them. They assumed He would always defend them, that He would never let His Temple be destroyed. Surely, with enough prayer He would miraculously bring deliverance, so they thought. But, no, it was not to be. God was using the Babylonian king to accomplish His will. They just couldn't believe it.

Christian, do you know that the Lord refuses to fit into your neat little box of expectations? He is not a tame Deity that we can keep on retainer to rain down positive answers to prayer so that we can live 'happily ever after.' He is the Eternal Lord of Heaven and Earth, loving and good, but also mysterious in His ways.  

Isaiah asks us to trust Him even when we cannot see where He's leading because the Lord told him, "I don't think the way you think. The way you work isn't the way I work." God's Decree. "For as the sky soars high above earth, so the way I work surpasses the way you work, and the way I think is beyond the way you think. Just as rain and snow descend from the skies and don't go back until they've watered the earth, Doing their work of making things grow and blossom, producing seed for farmers and food for the hungry, So will the words that come out of my mouth not come back empty-handed. They'll do the work I sent them to do, they'll complete the assignment I gave them." (Isaiah 55:8-11, The Message)

We are led by the Spirit, but the route He chooses may not necessarily be the one we prefer. We have two important choices - to be wisely discerning of His will and then to obey, regardless of whether we find it to our liking.  

And here's His promise for those willing to be led: "You will live in joy and peace. The mountains and hills will burst into song, and the trees of the field will clap their hands! Where once there were thorns, cypress trees will grow. Where briers grew, myrtles will sprout up. This miracle will bring great honor to the Lord's name; it will be an everlasting sign of his power and love." (Isaiah 55:12-13, NLT)

_________

Blessed Assurance

Blessed assurance, Jesus is mine,
O what a foretaste of glory divine!
Heir of salvation, purchase of God;
Born of His Spirit, washed in His blood.

Perfect submission, all is at rest,
I in my Savior am happy and blest!
Watching and waiting, looking above,
Filled with His goodness, lost in His love.

This is my story, this is my song.
Praising my Savior, all the day long.
This is my story, this is my song.
Praising my Savior, all the day long.

Fanny Jane Crosby | Phoebe Palmer Knapp
Public Domain

No comments: