Friday, April 12, 2013

Are you 'truthy'?



Are you ‘truthy?’

Tolerance is the gold standard of our times.  We strive to respect choices made by others. Our schools reinforce the value starting in Kindergarten. On the whole, this is a good thing!  Society is not a better place where groups of people are reviled because of their race, creed, or gender. But, are we losing our ability to discern right from wrong, sin from righteousness, what is best? Yes, I know, discernment slips ever so quickly into discrimination!  It is hard not to get our personal preferences mixed up with what is right.  Christians need to dialogue about this, need to pray together about this, need to find the way to remain in Truth and Love at the same time. Being a ‘truthy’ person is not at that enjoyable.  Any person attempting to parent a teenager can tell you that the truth is not highly valued by the 15 year old that loves Xbox more than algebra. Telling them the truth and enforcing safe boundaries will earn nothing but anger and contempt. 

Jesus reminds us that being ‘truthy’ people in our world will not earn admiration or applause. “If the world hates you, keep in mind that it hated me first. If you belonged to the world, it would love you as its own. As it is, you do not belong to the world, but I have chosen you out of the world. That is why the world hates you. Remember the words I spoke to you: ‘No servant is greater than his master.’ If they persecuted me, they will persecute you also. If they obeyed my teaching, they will obey yours also." (John 15:18-20, NIV)  When we stand in the way of injustice, when we speak up for the poor, when we remind another of the consequence of his refusal of God –   we should not expect to be sent flowers.  Yet, we are called to live the Truth. I am sobered by Ezekiel’s reminder when he compares God’s people to watchmen on the city wall. “Now, son of man, I am making you a watchman for the people of Israel. Therefore, listen to what I say and warn them for me. If I announce that some wicked people are sure to die and you fail to warn them about changing their ways, then they will die in their sins, but I will hold you responsible for their deaths. But if you warn them to repent and they don’t repent, they will die in their sins, but you will not be held responsible." (Ezekiel 33:7-9, NLT)  

Essential to our mission is love.  The cliché tells us to ‘hate the sin and love the sinner.’  But, walking that line is hard.  In my own life, if I find myself taking any personal delight in the telling of a hard truth, my love is suspect. If I am able to speak of Hell or judgment without sorrow, I should not open my mouth until I have regained the heart of Jesus.  If I take up the role of the watchman while motivated by fear for my own comfort, my message will be corrupt.  But, it is not unloving to speak the truth, even when it hurts; and that is where Truth runs head-long into tolerance.  It is not arrogant to tell others that life is found in Jesus Christ. It is not arrogant to speak of God’s judgment to come. Remember, remember, remember…  Jesus saves the world through sacrifice, not through coercion!  God sent His Son into the world as a Servant, not as a Soldier. He accomplished His mission on a Cross, not at the head of an army.  In our quest to tell the Truth, let’s  be known for our willingness to follow in His steps.

We stand in this assurance.  As you prepare to live a ‘truthy’ life, keep this promise always in mind.  "Then I saw heaven opened, and a white horse was standing there. And the one sitting on the horse was named Faithful and True. For he judges fairly and then goes to war. His eyes were bright like flames of fire, and on his head were many crowns. A name was written on him, and only he knew what it meant. He was clothed with a robe dipped in blood, and his title was the Word of God. The armies of heaven, dressed in pure white linen, followed him on white horses." (Revelation 19:11-14, NLT)  "Then I saw a new heaven and a new earth, for the old heaven and the old earth had disappeared. And the sea was also gone. And I saw the holy city, the new Jerusalem, coming down from God out of heaven like a beautiful bride prepared for her husband. I heard a loud shout from the throne, saying, “Look, the home of God is now among his people! He will live with them, and they will be his people. God himself will be with them. He will remove all of their sorrows, and there will be no more death or sorrow or crying or pain. For the old world and its evils are gone forever.” (Revelation 21:1-4, NLT)

Hallelujah! Amen!

No comments: