Monday, April 08, 2013

Monday Mornings

Which of these phrases comes from you today: “Oh, Lord, it’s Monday!” said with a groan, or; “It’s Monday, Lord!” spoken with expectation? Some of you are smiling as you read and some of you are growling, “Jerry, you don’t know my boss” or "You do not know what I am up against."  Of course, I do not. But, God does! 

God has given us the ability to shape our emotions and our lives. We can live positively if we develop the habits of happiness! Some of us fall into the futility of the blame game, "it's your fault that I am miserable."  Others demand that someone else change to fit our expectations before we will attempt to be happy.  But, joy does not come from outside; it grows from the inside out. God gives us a choice each day - to accept the day and His gifts in it, or to resist the day and live miserably!

People who find the most joy in life are not those who are ‘lucky.’ Joy is discovered in a choice to adjust and adapt to circumstances.The Bible calls this contentment. A deep reverence for the rule of the Almighty dethrones the ego that insists on having its own way and in that submission we find serenity.  

The Bible says, "The fear of the LORD leads to life: Then one rests content, untouched by trouble." (Proverbs 19:23, NIV) St. Paul, in the middle of a life full of rejection and hardships, said that he had "learned to be content whatever the circumstances. I know what it is to be in need, and I know what it is to have plenty. I have learned the secret of being content in any and every situation, whether well fed or hungry, whether living in plenty or in want." (Philippians 4:11-12, NIV) He repeats it twice, impressing the importance of this choice.

Contentment is not passivity. It is not apathy. It is found in faith. If this passage describes what we really believe to be true about our Lord, how could we live in anything other than contentment? “O Lord, you have examined my heart and know everything about me. You know when I sit down or stand up. You know my every thought when far away. You chart the path ahead of me and tell me where to stop and rest. Every moment you know where I am. You know what I am going to say even before I say it, Lord. You both precede and follow me. You place your hand of blessing on my head. Such knowledge is too wonderful for me, too great for me to know!" (Psalm 139:1-6, NLT)

On this Monday morning, if you’re dreading the week, if you’re full of anxiety, if you’re already wishing for Friday- it’s going to be a l o n g week. Reframe the way you choose to enter this day. Give it to the Lord and pray for faith to accept where He leads and to be the one who is His light and life in those situations. We are, the Word says, “Christ’s ambassadors.” Let’s represent Him well, with joyful faith today.

Father, help me to trust You today,
Expecting, not dreading; responding to each challenge with faith.
When I feel alone, whisper - “I am here!”
For there is real and complete joy in Your presence.

Silence the rebellion of my heart and
Grant me the contentment of a child who
Knows that His Daddy loves him completely.

And, in all my words, in the very attitudes of my heart,
May You be honored.
Jesus, I ask this in Your holy name. Amen.

No comments: