Tuesday, August 28, 2012

Even a pickle glows


Even a pickle glows

Speaking of the high calling of Christ, the Bible asks: “who is equal to such a task?” (2 Cor. 2:16)  Living the Christian life with integrity, in a way that causes others to desire Him, is not easy! Christ’s disciples are called to live a life of love, but selfishness comes so naturally. We are taught to serve, but we find ourselves wanting to be served.  Our highest intentions to do good are often sabotaged by sin that works against us.  Who cannot identify with this verse -  "I know that nothing good lives in me, that is, in my sinful nature. For I have the desire to do what is good, but I cannot carry it out." (Romans 7:18, NIV)

I recall a time when a woman counseled with me telling of her husband’s cruelty to her. He was mean,  belittling her day in and day out for years on end. Her anguish went deep and her dilemma – ‘do I stay in this marriage or do I call it quits after all this time?’ – was real and urgent. I listened and we prayed together. We asked for the Holy Spirit to lead her and to convict him.  Good was accomplished, yet even in that situation, the sinful nature in me found an opportunity. After she left my office, I found myself congratulating myself on being such a good husband to my wife! “I am so glad I’m not like him,” I thought proudly. I repented for even making the comparison when the Spirit convicted me.  Is that a dramatic sin? No, but it is that kind of persistent sinfulness that makes me desperate for the Spirit’s transformational work in me.

When we come to the end of ourselves and our own ability to be good, we are in the place where God can use us. The Bible says, ‘when we are weak, He is strong!’ John Ortberg, in his book, God Is Closer Than You Think, recounts a funny, simple little illustration. To make a point about being empowered by God, he brought an electrical engineer to church to conduct an experiment. “We turned off all the lights, hooked up an ordinary pickle to some wires, and then passed an electrical current through it. The pickle glowed! It gave light to a room… Many people believe that the flow of the Holy Spirit is reserved for spiritual giants… but, throughout history God has caused His power to flow through the most unlikely people; a prostitute named Rahab, a con man named Jacob, and a cheat named Zacchaeus. … so the next time you’re feeling inadequate, remember that even a pickle can glow if it stays plugged in to the flow.”

Jesus promised a ragtag group of followers that they would know success in the work of His kingdom because "I am going to send you what my Father has promised; but stay in the city until you have been clothed with power from on high." (Luke 24:49, NIV) A few days later, the Holy Spirit flowed into that Upper Room and rested on those ordinary men and women in a life-transforming way. Were they made perfect in that instant? Hardly.  They disagreed about things, worked through misunderstandings, and dealt with personal sin. Yet, God mercifully filled them with His power again and again.  These ordinary men turned the world upside down in a generation!

Christianity has not survived for 2000 years because of the greatness of Christians, but because of the faithfulness of God.
 Are you feeling inadequate for the calling of God in your life today?
Have you failed Him in some way?
Are you discouraged?

Remember, even a pickle glows when it’s plugged into a current. Tell the Lord that you’re desperate for Him, that you are totally dependent on His power and see what He will do with you.

Here’s a word from the Word. With a simple, open heart receive this promise.
“If you love me, obey my commandments. And I will ask the Father, and he will give you another Counselor, who will never leave you. He is the Holy Spirit, who leads into all truth. The world at large cannot receive him, because it isn’t looking for him and doesn’t recognize him. But you do, because he lives with you now and later will be in you. No, I will not abandon you as orphans—I will come to you." (John 14:15-18, NLT)

Abba, the war in me goes on.
I am pulled to love ME and desire to love You.
Teach me to breath the Spirit,
To be filled with His nature.
More than anything, let the love of Jesus
Be radiant in me.
Amen.

No comments: