Tuesday, May 08, 2012

Get In Line!

The trip was 400 miles long and there were 4 cars traveling together. Two drivers had no idea about the route, so it meant we had to stay together. If you have never driven that far in a caravan, believe me when I tell you, it's difficult! Safety demands that you keep some distance. Distraction means that one driver will start to lag too far back. Aggressive drivers will cut into the caravan, breaking it up. And then there's me! I like to set my own pace, stop when I want to get a cup of coffee. To make it work, each driver must stay aware of the others and go with the leader. In other words, "get in line!"

Are you a good follower? Many times in the Gospels we hear Jesus inviting people to follow Him. He did not negotiate terms with them, offer to share the lead with them, or even hold out incentives to them! He simply said, "Come, follow me!" Many people want to be a friend of Jesus. They want the life He promises, the peace with God He makes possible; yes, the benefits of knowing the Lord of Glory, but on their own terms. Discipleship is not for them! They want to walk with Him as long as He is willing to share the point position with them, letting them go where they want to go. When He leads into some hard place, they resist, perhaps even stop. When He leads them to profound change, they refuse.

"Anyone who intends to come with me has to let me lead. You're not in the driver's seat-I am. Don't run from suffering; embrace it. Follow me and I'll show you how." (Luke 9:23, The Message) How do you respond to that call? Will you get in line? The example of those first disciples inspires me. Matthew was working his tax collector booth at the city gate, but with great faith, he took the call. "Follow me," he told him, and Matthew got up and followed him." (Matthew 9:9, NIV) "As Jesus was walking beside the Sea of Galilee, he saw two brothers, Simon called Peter and his brother Andrew. They were casting a net into the lake, for they were fishermen. "Come, follow me," Jesus said, "and I will make you fishers of men." At once they left their nets and followed him." (Matthew 4:18-20, NIV) Did you note when they responded? At once!

True disciples follow. They accept the mastery, the discipline, the pace, the path of the Leader. In other words, they 'get in line.' It's not a short line, either. The wonderful and sobering truth is that there are those who are following you and me. This great caravan of life gives us the opportunity to bring others to the Life of Christ. But, how will they find the Way, if we are wandering, resistant, or rebellious?  

Here is a word from the Word. Meditate on it today. Pray for grace and obedience to genuine discipleship, so that you will have no hesitation to say, "Follow me as I follow Christ."
"He said to another man, "Follow me." But the man replied, "Lord, first let me go and bury my father." Jesus said to him, "Let the dead bury their own dead, but you go and proclaim the kingdom of God." Still another said, "I will follow you, Lord; but first let me go back and say good-by to my family."  
Jesus replied, "No one who puts his hand to the plow and looks back is fit for service in the kingdom of God." (Luke 9:59-62, NIV)
_________________

" Follow, I Will Follow Thee"

   Follow, I will follow Thee, my Lord,
   Follow every passing day.
   My tomorrows are all known to Thee;
   Thou wilt lead me all the way.

   Jesus calls me; I must follow,
   Follow every hour
   Know the blessing of His presence,
   Fullness of His power.

   Jesus calls me; I must follow,
   Follow Him alway.
   When my Savior goes before me,
   I can never stray.

   - Howard and Margaret Brown, 1935

No comments: