Monday, May 07, 2012

Second-hand Faith?


Ask me about training horses and I will share first-hand knowledge gained from years of experience.  For many Summers, I spent my days with two-year old colts, just in from the range, gentling them, turning them into riding mounts.  I did not just read about it in books!  My horse sense is experiential, not just theoretical. No matter how detailed I was in describing how to accomplish the work of turning a wild colt into a working animal; there is no way for you to really know without getting dirty, touching the ropes, feeling the strength of one of those magnificent animals.

Job writes this telling line: “I have heard of You by the hearing of the ear, but now my eye sees You." (Job 42:5, NKJV)  Job knowledge of the Holy One was once only gained in the telling of the stories of another.  Then, as we learn in the Old Testament book that bears his name, Job walked through suffering that turned lessons into experience. The paradox is that with this knowledge came deep humility. "I take back everything I said, and I sit in dust and ashes to show my repentance.” (Job 42:6, NLT)  When his life was full to the brim with blessings, when he was rich, respected, and resting in good health, he thought he knew many things about God. But, when he was reduced to nothing, he found Who God really was.

I look back at the early years of my pastoral ministry and I cringe when I remember sermons I preached that were about things I had been told, things I had not yet lived. Walking with God for 40 years has brought a deeper, much more profound knowledge of Him.  I am much less dogmatic, less absorbed with doctrine these days. God is not an Idea, nor is He Someone I know from another’s book;  He has become my God, the One who shapes my life by His Presence.  The paradox is that I am much more reluctant to attempt to define Him for you today than 30 years ago.  With the knowledge of the Holy has come more understanding of His majesty. He says, “My thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are your ways my ways. As the heavens are higher than the earth, so are my ways higher than your ways and my thoughts than your thoughts." (Isaiah 55:8-9, NIV)  I respond with worship, for I know He can be trusted.

I smile indulgently when I hear someone telling exactly what God will do or what kind of prayer I should utter to bring about a specific result. He cannot be ordered around. He is not like some mechanical device that can be programmed. He is a Person of profound love, plans that are often beyond my understanding.  He allows me to catch glimpses of His majesty, but only when I stand in Glory, will I truly know Him!

Do you know God or do you just know about Him?  If you want to know Him beyond the stories of other great Christians, it will require submission, true surrender.  He cannot be dissected on the table of your inquiry. Only shadowy outlines of His nature can be found in books of theology.  He will reveal Himself to those who desire Him.  Here’s a word from the Word, full of promise.  I pray this inspires us to press to truly know Him who is Life. "He that hath my commandments, and keepeth them, he it is that loveth me: and he that loveth me shall be loved of my Father, and I will love him, and will manifest myself to him." (John 14:21, KJV)
___________

O I Want To See Him

As I journey thro' the land
Singing as I go;
Pointing souls to Calvary
To the crimson flow.
Many arrows pierce my soul
From without within,
But my Lord leads me on
Thro' Him I must win.

When before me billows rise
From the mighty deep.
Then my Lord directs my bark
He doth safely keep.
And He leads me gently on
Thro' this world below.
He's a real Friend to me
O I love Him so!

O I want to see Him
Look upon His face,
There to sing forever
Of His saving grace.
On the streets of Glory
Let me lift my voice.
Cares all past-
Home at last-
Ever to rejoice!

Rufus Henry Cornelius
Public Domain

No comments: