Friday, February 10, 2012

Winning Heaven’s Lottery?

“Lord, I’m asking for ___________ .” When you pray are your feelings something like those underlying the purchase of a lottery ticket? Only a foolish person would buy a lottery ticket as an investment or with the idea that he was securing his financial future. If a person puts a buck on the counter for a ticket, he does so with only the slimmest hope of a return. That is how many people pray. They do not really expect much but feel ‘it can’t hurt anything’ to try. So they make their request, but go ahead and make other plans!

True faith is anchored in God’s promise. Those who pray in faith, prepare to receive an answer and trust God profoundly. Faith of that quality demands a deeper relationship with God, a daily conversation that goes beyond “Lord, bless me, my kids, and my wife. Give me more stuff and help me not to get sick. Amen.” True prayer involves submission, worship, adoration, acceptance, and petition! It is not an event during the day; it is an attitude that shapes each moment of the day. That is why the Scripture tells us to "Pray without ceasing." (1 Thessalonians 5:17, KJV)

Jesus admired the faith of a Roman officer who came to Him on behalf of a suffering servant in his household. "When Jesus had entered Capernaum, a centurion came to him, asking for help. “Lord,” he said, “my servant lies at home paralyzed and in terrible suffering.”
Jesus said to him, “I will go and heal him.” The centurion replied, “Lord, I do not deserve to have you come under my roof. But just say the word, and my servant will be healed. For I myself am a man under authority, with soldiers under me. I tell this one, ‘Go,’ and he goes; and that one, ‘Come,’ and he comes. I say to my servant, ‘Do this,’ and he does it.”

When Jesus heard this, he was astonished and said to those following him, “I tell you the truth, I have not found anyone in Israel with such great faith." (Matthew 8:5-10, NIV) This man recognized that faith must be placed in the Lord. He relinquished his will to the will of Jesus realizing the answer flowed from the Lord’s will and authority.
  • Do you think that God will answer because you manage to think enough positive thoughts?
  • Do you think you have to convince Him to act with a lawyerly argument? 
  • Do you think you can bribe Him to give you an answer by doing religious things?
Those are an insult to the Father and reveal a misunderstanding of His nature. Jesus reminds of the love of Abba saying "If your child asks for bread, do you trick him with sawdust? If he asks for fish, do you scare him with a live snake on his plate? As bad as you are, you wouldn’t think of such a thing. You’re at least decent to your own children. So don’t you think the God who conceived you in love will be even better?" (Matthew 7:9-11, The Message)

Please do not get me wrong today. I am not suggesting that prayer is easy or that faith is simple! Prayer is often renewing, but at times praying exhausts me, just as having an intense conversation with a friend can stir up strong emotion and leave me worn out.

Despite many years of walking with Christ Jesus as Lord, I cannot make the claim that I know why some prayers seem to find an instant answer and others yield only silence. Beware of those who offer formulas for ‘getting your prayers answered.’ At best they are mistaken; at worst, charlatans looking to take advantage of you.

There is only one way to learn to pray and that is to pray! There are no shortcuts to knowing an intimate relationship with the Spirit. Time, devotion, and willingness to live with Him in the school of a prayerful life have no substitutes.

Here’s the word from the Word. “Here’s what I want you to do: Find a quiet, secluded place so you won’t be tempted to role-play before God. Just be there as simply and honestly as you can manage. The focus will shift from you to God, and you will begin to sense his grace. “The world is full of so-called prayer warriors who are prayer-ignorant. They’re full of formulas and programs and advice, peddling techniques for getting what you want from God. Don’t fall for that nonsense. This is your Father you are dealing with, and he knows better than you what you need." (Matthew 6:6-8, The Message)

Amen.

No comments: