Monday, February 06, 2012

“I put my hand over my mouth”

Anxiety occasionally comes tiptoeing to my bedside in the early morning hours. It jerks me awake and brings tumbling thoughts, feelings of fear and despair. Those emotion can quickly evolve into physical symptoms; racing heartbeat, shortness of breath. Some would call it a ‘panic attack.’ It is not only psychological. I know that there is a spiritual element in it, too. When challenges increase, when answers to questions are elusive, I am more prone to becoming anxious. But, when I allow the urgencies of life to keep me from prayer, the powers of evil find an opening in my weakness. Thankfully, I know where to turn.

In such times, I return to a form of prayer that is called ‘centering.’ Christ Jesus is made the focus of thought and His love is allowed to push all other thought aside. Consciously, I slow my breathing and quietly say, “Jesus.” This prayer is not for complex petitions or beautiful praise. It is a heart-cry, an act of adoration, a time to receive the gift of His peace. The act of centering requires submission to the Spirit and silence. The Bible speaks about tearing down "every pretension that sets itself up against the knowledge of God, and we take captive every thought to make it obedient to Christ." (2 Corinthians 10:5, NIV) In the story of Job, when his suffering drives him to angrily demand a confrontation with the Lord, God comes, not with explanations, but to reveal Himself in greater majesty. Job’s response is humility. He says, "I am unworthy—how can I reply to you? I put my hand over my mouth." (Job 40:4, NIV) Centering prayer restores Christ Jesus to His place in our mind and heart.

From Isaiah’s words we learn the place of holy submission. "This is what the Sovereign Lord, the Holy One of Israel, says: “In repentance and rest is your salvation, in quietness and trust is your strength." (Isaiah 30:15, NIV) When trouble threatened them, the people of God wanted to run off and make an alliance with Egypt. The Lord called them to re-center their hope on Him! He invites us to the same kind of faith, not passive, but actively focused on Him rather than our own resources. Waiting can be much more difficult than working!

If you find yourself pressed by problems, if your soul is battered by doubts, when anxious thoughts drive you to anger or panic; center yourself on Christ! Inhale slowly, and then breath out the name of Jesus. Pray a simple prayer that says, “I receive your peace.” Do not race off to fight. Try to find a place alone and stay there enforcing the quiet on your soul. It’s simply, but it is not easy! The natural responses are either ‘fight or flight.’ Give the Spirit mastery.

Here’s the word from the Word.
"O Lord, hear my voice. Let your ears be attentive to my cry for mercy.
If you, O Lord, kept a record of sins, O Lord, who could stand?
But with you there is forgiveness; therefore you are feared.


I wait for the Lord, my soul waits,
and in his word I put my hope.
My soul waits for the Lord more than watchmen wait for the morning,
more than watchmen wait for the morning." (Psalm 130:2-6, NIV)
_________________


Be The Centre

Jesus, be the centre.
Be my source, be my light,
Jesus.


Jesus, be the centre.
Be my hope, be my song,
Jesus.


Be the fire in my heart,
Be the wind in these sails,
Be the reason that I live,
Jesus, Jesus.

© 1999 Vineyard Songs (UK/Eire) (Admin. by Vineyard Music UK)
Michael Frye
CCLI License No. 810055

No comments: