Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Will God overlook it?

America’s troubles are far from over. A darkness lies ahead of us that will make today’s troubles look like good times. Just so you know, I dislike writing things like that even more than you dislike reading it. God judged His people in the past for lesser sins than those of this land. And, thus, I know He will allow judgment to come again. America has sown seeds of her own destruction- greed, materialism, injustice, exploitation of the poor, lewdness, sexual promiscuity - and God’s law is that “you reap the harvest of the seeds you plant.”

Even the church in America has largely lost her way. America is full of religion that uses Christian rhetoric but if you look more deeply, it is obvious that those churches are filled with people who have little or no understanding of Christian principles. In my lifetime work as a pastor of a local church, I have never found my calling more complex than I do at this time. Even those who claim to be disciples are heavily influenced by our culture, with many Christians living unconsciously with a deep divide between their spiritual life and their day to day decisions. One author observes ever so insightfully that churches are filled with ‘Christian atheists.’ Craig Groeschel writes that “For as long as I can remember, I’ve believed in God, but I haven’t always lived like He exists.”

Isaiah was moved by the Holy Spirit to declare this to his nation:  "See how Jerusalem, once so faithful, has become a prostitute. Once the home of justice and righteousness, she is now filled with murderers. Once like pure silver, you have become like worthless slag. Once so pure, you are now like watered-down wine. Your leaders are rebels, the companions of thieves. All of them love bribes and demand payoffs, but they refuse to defend the cause of orphans or fight for the rights of widows. Therefore, the Lord, the Lord of Heaven’s Armies, the Mighty One of Israel, says, “I will take revenge on my enemies and pay back my foes! I will raise my fist against you. I will melt you down and skim off your slag. I will remove all your impurities. Then I will give you good judges again and wise counselors like you used to have. Then Jerusalem will again be called the Home of Justice and the Faithful City.” Zion will be restored by justice; those who repent will be revived by righteousness. But rebels and sinners will be completely destroyed, and those who desert the Lord will be consumed." (Isaiah 1:21-32, NLT) How fitting for this time in America!

The revival we need is not a return to some ‘perfect yesteryear.’ My desire for spiritual renewal is not rooted in nostalgia. We must take care not to slide into the sin of the Pharisees who became obsessed with trying to live such a good life that they missed the Perfect Man when He came to live among them. The place of renewal is not in more control, longer church services, or louder harangues about holiness. We find life only when we humbly come to the Cross of Christ and die, even to our pretentions of righteousness. As we meditate on the Cross, we are made right with God. Realizing His holiness, we join Isaiah in his cry, “Woe to me!” I cried. “I am ruined! For I am a man of unclean lips, and I live among a people of unclean lips, and my eyes have seen the King, the Lord Almighty.” (Isaiah 6:5, NIV)

Will the Church rise from the ashes of her corrupt state to lead men and woman to a place before Almighty God where they can find healing and wholeness in repentance or will we let ourselves be satisfied with a ‘form of godliness while denying its power?’ This I know: God has always had a people to bear His Name. He has always called a remnant, a little leftover group, from which He has sparked revival. "Once more a remnant of the house of Judah will take root below and bear fruit above. For out of Jerusalem will come a remnant, and out of Mount Zion a band of survivors. The zeal of the Lord Almighty will accomplish this." (Isaiah 37:31-32, NIV)

He cannot overlook the sins of our time, but we can hold fast to Him, and find safety like Noah did in that great flood. Are you hungry for holiness? Does a deep desire to know the living God live in you?  Hear the challenge from Peter that tells us "the time has come for judgment to begin at the house of God; and if it begins with us first, what will be the end of those who do not obey the gospel of God? Now “If the righteous one is scarcely saved, Where will the ungodly and the sinner appear?” Therefore let those who suffer according to the will of God commit their souls to Him in doing good, as to a faithful Creator." (1 Peter 4:17-19, NKJV)

Oh God, bring revival and start that work in me. Amen

No comments: