Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Vitamins Cause Cancer?



There it was on the news. Men who take vitamin E increase their risk of a certain kind of cancer. The evening before the report was that women who take a multi-vitamin supplement die at a younger age. But, I always thought that vitamins made me healthy. Who do I believe?  It turns out there is much more to these reports than the headlines indicate. So much of our ‘information’ comes at us in little factoids and short news bites that reduce complex studies with many conditions to a few words that capture our attention. A more careful reading of the whole story often reveals that the headline can point to a wrong conclusion.  In our hurry-up world, full of words and noise, we are tempted to try to reduce everything to a quick summary. We want to understand but often don’t take the time that is necessary to think it through.

Is your faith in Christ built around factoids and headlines? Are you a true student of the Scripture? Forming our convictions about God and Christ only from short devotional articles, anecdotes, and generalized assumptions is a serious error. The flimsy faith created on such a foundation will collapse when the going gets rough. Paul urges us to “continue to work out your salvation with fear and trembling." (Philippians 2:12, NIV)  In other words, make the effort to understand your faith and apply it to every situation.  That is easier said than done!

By way of example, I point to my own life. For years I have preached the resurrection, the promise of life beyond the grave, which I believe whole-heartedly. Yet, when my mother died, I had to go deeper, to work through owning the Scripture’s promise in a personal and new way. Standing at the bare patch of ground that marks her grave yesterday, I wrestled with the promise. What I can see with natural eyes tells me that death is final. Her grave appears to be mute proof of the end. But, there is the testimony of Christ, the declaration that because He lives, we will live also. As I study that, meditate on it, and make it my own; it changes me from the inside out. The process is hard and will continue for some time, I am sure.

Here is a challenge to us all. "Stop fighting over words. Such arguments are useless, and they can ruin those who hear them. Work hard so you can present yourself to God and receive his approval. Be a good worker, one who does not need to be ashamed and who correctly explains the word of truth. Avoid worthless, foolish talk that only leads to more godless behavior." (2 Timothy 2:14-16, NLT) Instead of rushing to the quick conclusion or trying to reduce complex truth to slogans, develop a mind that thinks it through, that patiently examines the facts, shines the light on every angle, and seeks the Spirit’s wisdom. Use caution when choosing your teachers. Some are more interested in sounding good than being truthful. Your applause to some is more important than your transformation.

Our word from the Word is a passage from the Gospel, Jesus’ own invitation. “These words I speak to you are not incidental additions to your life, homeowner improvements to your standard of living. They are foundational words, words to build a life on. If you work these words into your life, you are like a smart carpenter who built his house on solid rock. Rain poured down, the river flooded, a tornado hit—but nothing moved that house. It was fixed to the rock. “But if you just use my words in Bible studies and don’t work them into your life, you are like a stupid carpenter who built his house on the sandy beach. When a storm rolled in and the waves came up, it collapsed like a house of cards.”  (Matthew 7:24-27, The Message)

My hope is built on nothing less,
Than Jesus’ blood and righteousness.
I dare not trust the sweetest frame,
But wholly lean on Jesus’ Name.
On Christ, the Solid Rock, I stand
All other ground is sinking sand.
-      William Bradbury

No comments: