Tuesday, October 18, 2011

PIES - post in eye syndrome


“How about that post in your own eye?” was Jesus’ gently humorous jab at those who were quick to point out the speck of sawdust in the eye of another. Reminds me of the guy who complained to the police about the teenagers speeding through his neighborhood. After being ticketed, he showed up at the city council meeting three weeks later to protest the ‘speed trap’ on his street. Yes, I’ll confess that I have been guilty of wanting others to keep the rules but looking for pass for myself!

There is the famous story from King David’s life. After he reached the throne and gained settled peace throughout his kingdom, he kicked back one spring. He sent his generals off to war while he stayed at the palace. “It’s good to be king,” he thought. One evening while he was enjoying the cool breeze on the palace roof, he happened to noticed a beautiful woman bathing next door. Somehow I think he knew he was moving in the wrong direction, but he gave himself a pass from the rules that governed ordinary mortals. He was the king, after all.  He learned she was the wife of one of his trusted soldiers but ignored that inconvenient fact. Yes, the story goes as you think it might, only worse. She got pregnant and he plotted murder by proxy. When Uriah was dead, he discreetly (don’t you love that word?) brought her into his palace and married her. For one full year, he thought somehow that nobody had noticed, not even the Lord. Until… Nathan, the prophet, showed up in court with a story about a poor farmer whose one lone sheep, a pet no less, had been stolen by his rich neighbor and served up for dinner for guests!  David’s sense of justice kicked into overdrive and he delivered a thundering edict that the man deserved to die. "You’re the man!” said Nathan. (2 Samuel 12:7, The Message) How’s that for a story about PIES- post in eye syndrome?

Here’s what Jesus said. “Do not judge others, and you will not be judged. For you will be treated as you treat others. The standard you use in judging is the standard by which you will be judged. “And why worry about a speck in your friend’s eye when you have a log in your own? How can you think of saying to your friend, ‘Let me help you get rid of that speck in your eye,’ when you can’t see past the log in your own eye? Hypocrite! First get rid of the log in your own eye; then you will see well enough to deal with the speck in your friend’s eye." (Matthew 7:1-5, NLT)  

He is not teaching us to just let it all go with tolerance that avoids hard truth. Too often we think it’s loving to say: “I’m a sinner, you’re a sinner, we’re all sinners together!” Nor is the lesson that one of living at the lowest common denominator. We are our brother’s keeper. The proverb says "As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another." (Proverbs 27:17, NIV) Within the Body of Christ, we must keep spurring each other on, raising the level of excellence, pursuing holiness whole-heartedly. But, never while we are in the grip of PIES – post in eye syndrome. Humility is a key here, as is love. We humbly allow for the fact that we have blind spots. We accept reproof even from the newest convert. And, we love one another enough to tell the truth; but never letting it be about our own ego or motivated by our own reputation or status.

Are you spending a lot of time tending the business of others, monitoring the morality of the church, pointing out flaws and failures?  That’s often a symptom of PIES – post in eye syndrome. The only cure is face time with the Great Physician Who says, "I counsel you to buy from me … salve to put on your eyes, so you can see." (Revelation 3:18, NIV)  As He reveals the truth about you, if you take it to the Cross, you will find that it is true: The One who knows you best, loves you most!

When David heard Nathan’s challenge of his sin, he was healed of PIES and this was his prayer. May it be ours as well.
"Create in me a pure heart, O God, and renew a steadfast spirit within me.
Do not cast me from your presence or take your Holy Spirit from me.
Restore to me the joy of your salvation and grant me a willing spirit, to sustain me.
Then I will teach transgressors your ways, and sinners will turn back to you."

(Psalm 51:10-13, NIV) Amen.
_________________

Open the eyes of my heart, Lord,
Open the eyes of my heart;
I want to see You, I want to see You.
Open the eyes of my heart, Lord,
Open the eyes of my heart;
I want to see You, I want to see You.

To see You high and lifted up,
Shining in the light of Your glory.
Pour out Your pow'r and love;
As we sing holy, holy, holy.
High and lifted up,
Shining in the light of Your glory.
Pour out Your pow'r and love;
As we sing holy, holy, holy.

Holy, holy, holy,
Holy, holy, holy;
Holy, holy, holy,
I want to see You.

Open The Eyes of My Heart

Paul Baloche© 1997 Integrity's Hosanna! Music (c/o Integrity Music, Inc.)
CCLI License No. 810055

No comments: