Thursday, October 20, 2011

I have gift for you

About a month before she died, I came home from the office one afternoon and found my Mom grinning widely.  “That box over there is a gift for you,” she said. It was a French press coffee maker she had ordered for me. She knew how much I enjoy my morning cup of coffee and heard someone on the Food Channel talking about making it in a press, so she wanted me to have one. Presenting me with a gift gave her such pleasure. I know the feeling! When I am able to give someone I love a gift that meets a need in their life or satisfies a desire, I feel genuine joy!

God, our Heavenly Father, delights in us and loves to provide good things for us. His gifts generally do not arrive by UPS, however. He grants peace in the middle of a storm, hope in the dark of the night, renewal each morning, forgiveness of our sins and transformation of our heart. Last night, I lay awake at 2 am wrestling with myself, wondering which way to turn, what to do. Then I remembered that there was a gift promised to me. “If you lack wisdom, ask me.” God says. So I gave the problem to Him and He gave me rest. Thank you, Father.

The stresses of life can obscure our vision of our Father’s love. The treachery of the Devil can deceive us causing us to stop trusting Him. That is why we need to go again and again to the lesson that Jesus gave about the goodness of our Father. “Which of you, if his son asks for bread, will give him a stone? Or if he asks for a fish, will give him a snake? If you, then, though you are evil, know how to give good gifts to your children, how much more will your Father in heaven give good gifts to those who ask him!" (Matthew 7:9-11, NIV)

There is one thing that poisons both giving and receiving gifts: entitlement. We can fall so love with ourselves that when someone gives us a gift, we have no appreciation, feeling that we deserved it all along. Instead of saying, “thank you,” we wonder “why did it take so long for you to give it to me?”  When you present someone who feels entitled a gift, as the giver you experience disappointment, too. The Bible is clear that what we deserve destruction, but have been given life. Grace breaks in and sets aside justice! "There is a great difference between Adam’s sin and God’s gracious gift. For the sin of this one man, Adam, brought death to many. But even greater is God’s wonderful grace and his gift of forgiveness to many through this other man, Jesus Christ." (Romans 5:15, NLT)  "For the wages of sin is death, but the free gift of God is eternal life through Christ Jesus our Lord." (Romans 6:23, NLT)

From the generosity of our Father, we learn to be generous. Knowing that He will provide, we feel no need to hoard what He gives us. We quickly forgive, because we are forgiven. We deeply love because we are richly loved. We share our resources because He replenishes our store. “Every good and perfect gift comes down from the Father.”  

Here’s a word from the Word. May the promise cause you to rejoice as you receive His gifts. And, may the generosity of God above be seen in us today.
"Remember this: Whoever sows sparingly will also reap sparingly, and whoever sows generously will also reap generously. Each man should give what he has decided in his heart to give, not reluctantly or under compulsion, for God loves a cheerful giver.
And God is able to make all grace abound to you, so that in all things at all times, having all that you need, you will abound in every good work. As it is written: “He has scattered abroad his gifts to the poor; his righteousness endures forever.” Now he who supplies seed to the sower and bread for food will also supply and increase your store of seed and will enlarge the harvest of your righteousness." (2 Corinthians 9:6-10, NIV)

No comments: