Thursday, June 16, 2011

A slave to the Lie


 He has lived as a pretender for so long, even he believes the lie now. When he talks about Christ, he has all the right words to say. He can even move people with his professions, but those who know him outside of his ministry, know a miserable, mean man in whom there is nothing of the primary fruit of Spirit life: love.  If you asked him if he was a good Christian, he would claim to be a better one than most others, and with considerable pride, too. The real tragedy is that his refusal of the truth keeps him from having the one thing he claims to value more than anything: a true relationship with His Heavenly Father. I wish Sam were an exception, but he is not. Church is full of people who are still in their sin because they will not take a good hard look at themselves in God’s mirror.

The grace of God finds those who are willing to face the truth, as much as they might not want to. Saul, the Pharisee, spent years thinking he was serving God by chasing down Believers and trying to stamp the Jesus Message. On that road to Damascus, the Truth found him. "He fell to the ground and heard a voice say to him, “Saul, Saul, why do you persecute me?” “Who are you, Lord?” Saul asked. (Acts 9:4-6, NIV) In that acceptance Saul became Paul, transformed by grace and given the gift of Life. Years later, he still told the truth about himself: "For I am the least of all the apostles. In fact, I’m not even worthy to be called an apostle after the way I persecuted God’s church. But whatever I am now, it is all because God poured out his special favor on me—and not without results." (1 Corinthians 15:9-10, NLT)

Are you trying to hide something from God, from others, even from yourself?
Are you afraid to admit that you even think some of the thoughts that march through your head?
Do you fear being exposed, worry that you are ‘not good enough?’

The truth is that the One who knows you best, loves you most. Unlike an indulgent Dad, He will not ignore your flaws and failures. He won’t excuse your sin and He will not let you avoid it either. He asks that we face the truth and offers us grace and forgiveness as well as power to change from the inside out.

Here’s the word from the Word for today. "Learn to do good. Seek justice. Help the oppressed. Defend the cause of orphans. Fight for the rights of widows. “Come now, let’s settle this,” says the Lord. “Though your sins are like scarlet, I will make them as white as snow. Though they are red like crimson, I will make them as white as wool. If you will only obey me, you will have plenty to eat. But if you turn away and refuse to listen, you will be devoured by the sword of your enemies. I, the Lord, have spoken!” (Isaiah 1:17-20, NLT)
____________

I was once a sinner, but I came
Pardon to receive from my Lord.
This was freely given, and I found
That He always kept His word.

I was humbly kneeling at the Cross,
Fearing naught but God's angry frown,
When the heavens opened and I saw
That my name was written down.

In the Book 'tis written
"Saved by grace."
O the joy that came to my soul!
Now I am forgiven and I know,
By the blood I am made whole.

There's a new name
Written down in glory,
And it's mine.
O yes, it's mine!
And the white-robed
Angels sing the story,
"A sinner has come home."
For there's a new name
Written down in glory,
And it's mine,
O yes it's mine.
With my sins forgiven
I am bound for heaven,
Nevermore to roam.


A New Name In Glory

Miles, C. Austin
© Public Domain

No comments: