Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Word pictures!


Pastor Eric took the pulpit and in 30 minutes laid a foundation of ‘why’ on which he build a house of ‘what.’  He reminded us that we had to take the Jesus Message to the streets. He helped us to ‘see’ lives changed from hopelessness to purpose, from wandering about as though lost to being part into the family of the Lord. He practiced what Andy Stanley calls ‘visioneering.’ The picture he painted with words was compelling. Inspired by the Spirit, those words helped dozens to say, “I want to be a part of this” and to invest themselves. Such is the power of vision! We all live out a vision, worthy or base, life-giving or death-dealing.

So, what keeps our vision `on track?'
How can we be sure that we are dreaming about things that are worth spending our lives to own?

Vision must be shaped by the revealed Will of God as found in the Scripture.
A vision that disregards God's will is worse than unworthy. It is sinful.

In Luke 12, Jesus told a story about a man whose hard work paid off richly. He did not condemn the man's work nor did he condemn the result. He challenged the man's vision which was selfish and only about creating a place of personal ease. Jesus concludes his story saying, Luke 12:21 "Yes, a person is a fool to store up earthly wealth but not have a rich relationship with God."

Vision must be informed by the past. While vision must be fresh, it need not be novel!

A keen visionary is inspired by those who lived worthy lives before him. He studies the example of models and adapts their methods to his own life. The accumulated wisdom of those who have served God before us is a rich reservoir from which we drink deeply. Visionaries are informed by the mistakes of yesterday as well. Only a foolish person would not ask, "why did that vision fail to meet the goal?" The best visionaries have a working knowledge of the past from which they courageously launch into the future.  But visionaries cannot be captive of either the successes or failures of the past. Paul knew that and says that "one thing I do: Forgetting what is behind and straining toward what is ahead, I press on toward the goal to win the prize for which God has called me heavenward in Christ Jesus." Philippians 3.13-14 Paul did not intend us to understand that he was throwing away all the lessons he had learned. He is urging us to lay down the weight of yesterday's sins and to stop trying to relive yesterday's glories, so that we can discover the wonderful Will of God for life TODAY!

Vision must be larger than our presently perceived abilities. A vision that is too small cannot inspire us to reach higher. If our vision is simply to find our way from bed, to desk, to recliner, and back to bed – why would we need to seek God to make it happen? Who would want to join us in the quest?

So…. What do you see as the core purpose of your life? What is the inspiration of your children's future? Why will you do your daily work? How do you see yourself participating in the mission of bringing the Jesus Message to those who live within your sphere of influence?

One day during a trip through the region of Samaria, Jesus broke the rules and talked with a woman at  well. She was a social outcast, a truly sinful person; but He loved her and reached out to her. That conversation led to a grace awakening. Jesus’ disciples came on the scene and were mystified at His deep satisfaction. His explanation is our word from the Word today. “The food that keeps me going is that I do the will of the One who sent me, finishing the work he started. As you look around right now, wouldn’t you say that in about four months it will be time to harvest? Well, I’m telling you to open your eyes and take a good look at what’s right in front of you. These Samaritan fields are ripe. It’s harvest time!" (John 4:34-35, The Message)

Becoming visionary is hard work. Implementing and maintaining vision is harder still. However, vision pulls us out of the mire of mediocrity and excites us about the work to be done.

___________________

Be Thou My Vision

Be thou my vision, O Lord of my heart!
Naught be all else to me save that thou art.
Thou my best thought, by day or by night.
Waking or sleeping thy presence my light.

Be thou my wisdom, be Thou my true word.
I ever with thee and thou with me, Lord.
Thou my great Father, and I thy true son!
Thou in me dwelling and I with thee one.

Riches I heed not nor man's empty praise,
Thou my inheritance now and always.
Thou and thou only, first in my heart.
High King of heaven, my treasure thou art!

High King of heaven when battle is done,
Grant heaven's joy to me, Bright Heaven's Sun.
Christ of my own heart whatever befall,
Still be my vision thou ruler of all.

Public Domain

No comments: