Wednesday, December 15, 2010

Like a Shepherd

Are you attempting live alone, trying to figure it out as you go, relying only on your own wit and wisdom? Have you cynically concluded, "nobody cares!"? Or, does pride keep you from seeking help or guidance? If I'm describing you, you need need to know that you are putting yourself at great risk.


Fact: sheep left alone on the open range without a shepherd do not thrive!
Predators will kill them off, one by one. The flock will stay in one area, over-grazing the land, exhausting their food supply. Only a well-shepherded flock thrives. People are much like those sheep. We need to be led! Without care, we die. Even if we have all we need right now, without guidance we will get stuck and fail to move ahead in life.

Here's the cautionary part of this tale. Our world is full of people who would 'shepherd' us, but their interest is exploiting, not caring. "What sorrow awaits you shepherds who feed yourselves instead of your flocks. Shouldn't shepherds feed their sheep?" (Ezekiel 34:2, NLT) They call to us, inviting us to follow them. There are dictators that demand much of us, but return nothing, wanting only to selfishly take from us. There are deceivers that want to mislead us into destruction, their plans shaped by twisted purposes of evil. There are those who just yell at us, issuing a confusing lot of directions, noises that leaves us in a whirl of confusion if we try to follow them.

"This is what the Sovereign Lord says: I myself will search for my sheep and look after them. As a shepherd looks after his scattered flock when he is with them, so will I look after my sheep. I will rescue them from all the places where they were scattered on a day of clouds and darkness. I will bring them out from the nations and gather them from the countries, and I will bring them into their own land.

I will pasture them on the mountains of Israel, in the ravines and in all the settlements in the land. I will tend them in a good pasture, and the mountain heights of Israel will be their grazing land. There they will lie down in good grazing land, and there they will feed in a rich pasture on the mountains of Israel. I myself will tend my sheep and have them lie down, declares the Sovereign Lord. I will search for the lost and bring back the strays. I will bind up the injured and strengthen the weak, but the sleek and the strong I will destroy. I will shepherd the flock with justice." (Ezekiel 34:11-16, NIV)

Jesus says, "Come, follow me." He fulfills that prophetic promise and offers to be our Shepherd. It's an invitation to adventure, to life that is purposeful and meaningful, and - best of all - to a relationship! He will never leave us. He does not promise that we will never be attacked by wolves, go through violent storms, or experience difficult days! But, He promises we won't face those challenges alone. "I'll be there," He says, "caring for you."

Follow the Good Shepherd. Serve Him. Worship Him. Listen to Him. And, you will 'have real and eternal life, more and better life than you ever dreamed.' That's the truth.  Here's a familiar word from the Word. Don't rush through it! Savor the promise.

"The Lord is my shepherd, I shall not be in want.
He makes me lie down in green pastures,
he leads me beside quiet waters, he restores my soul.
He guides me in paths of righteousness for his name's sake.

Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death,
I will fear no evil, for you are with me;
your rod and your staff, they comfort me.

You prepare a table before me in the presence of my enemies.
You anoint my head with oil; my cup overflows.
Surely goodness and love will follow me all the days of my life,
and I will dwell in the house of the Lord forever." (Psalm 23, NIV)

_____________________

Savior, like a Shepherd lead us;
Much we need Thy tender care.
In Thy pleasant pastures feed us;
For our use Thy folds prepare.
Blessed Jesus, blessed Jesus!
Thou hast bought us; Thine we are.
Blessed Jesus, blessed Jesus!
Thou hast bought us, Thine we are.
We are Thine; do Thou befriend us;
Be the Guardian of our way.
Keep Thy flock; from sin defend us;
Seek us when we go astray.
Blessed Jesus, blessed Jesus!
Hear thy children when they pray;
Blessed Jesus, blessed Jesus!
Hear Thy children when they pray.

Savior Like A Shepherd Lead Us

Thrupp, Dorothy A. / Bradbury, William B.
© Public Domain

No comments: