Friday, November 05, 2010

Tough choices, great grace

Jim Swilley is probably a good and likeable guy. He started a church in Georgia 25 years ago that has become a mega-church. Jim divorced his wife recently and announced his homosexuality. He said he had to do it be ‘authentic.’ He also said that his sexual orientation was not chosen, but something that been a part of him since early childhood. And, he says he will remain the pastor of his church living as an openly gay man. I was with him up to that last point. I applaud his honesty though I do wonder why he’s lived a lie for 3 decades while preaching ‘authenticity?’ I even accept his statement that some people seem to be born with a sexual preference for people of the same sex. But, if Jim Swilley wants to be actively sexual with a man, the Scripture disqualifies him from being a Christian pastor.


This man illustrates the extreme self -aborption that afflicts way too many people in this day and shows up as a la carte’ Christian discipleship. With our exaggerated sense of Self, we slide so easily into the conviction expressed by Tom T. Hall in a country song that goes like this:“Me and Jesus, got our own thing goin'. Me and Jesus, got it all worked out. Me and Jesus, got our own thing goin'. We don't need anybody to tell us what it's all about.”

It might make a good song, but it’s just not true! Actually, me and Jesus don’t have our own thing going and neither you nor I can cut and paste the Bible to fit our preferences. We are part of a great Body of Believers, responsible to the community to which we belong, where all of us are called to live under the Lordship of Christ. The Word says, "Since we are surrounded by such a huge crowd of witnesses to the life of faith, let us strip off every weight that slows us down, especially the sin that so easily trips us up. And let us run with endurance the race God has set before us." (Hebrews 12:1, NLT)

The Lord Jesus warns that many who thought they had their own private deal with God will be shocked on Judgment Day. "On judgment day many will say to me, ‘Lord! Lord! We prophesied in your name and cast out demons in your name and performed many miracles in your name.’ But I will reply, ‘I never knew you. Get away from me, you who break God’s laws.’ “Anyone who listens to my teaching and follows it is wise, like a person who builds a house on solid rock. Though the rain comes in torrents and the floodwaters rise and the winds beat against that house, it won’t collapse because it is built on bedrock. But anyone who hears my teaching and doesn’t obey it is foolish, like a person who builds a house on sand." (Matthew 7:22-26, NLT)
Living as an authentic Christian is neither simple nor easy. Choices must be made. Why? Because Christ is either Lord of all, or He’s not Lord at all. We cannot claim to be a disciple while holding back some part of ourselves from Him. Are any of us sinless? Of course not! However, real holiness is progressive, as we grow in grace. But, we don’t grow when we say we are without a need for grace because “God will understand that’s just who I am.”

Want to be a Christian who knows the greatest joy, the deepest intimacy, who lives with rock solid assurance, whose life will enjoy a beautiful legacy, and who will be welcomed into the Father’s Presence with a rich reward? Then, surrender it all and let Him lead. Work out your salvation with proper reverence for the majesty and wisdom of God.

Here’s the word from the Word -
"Honor the Lord for the glory of his name. Worship the Lord in the splendor of his holiness." (Psalm 29:2, NLT)
___________

All to Jesus, I surrender
All to Him, I freely give.
I will ever love and trust Him
in His Presence daily live.

I surrender all,
I surrender all,
All to Thee, my blessed Savior,
I surrender all.

Van Deventer
-Public Domain

No comments: