Monday, November 08, 2010

What do you expect?

An experiment was conducted in which people were put into a stereo-optic device that displayed two distinct images, one in the left eye and one in the right eye. After the images flashed the subject reported seeing what he was culturally conditioned to see. The expectation played heavily into the perception!

Do you realize how much your expectations shape your experience? If you go into any situation today expecting misery, you will find it. If you complain about Monday from the start, you will find the week a long slog to Friday. I do not want to become overly simplistic, falling into a life that refuses reality. There are those who become adept at pretending all is well, working hard to maintain the illusion that life is always good. That only leads to foolishness. There is, however, a decision to meet each and every situation trusting in the Lord’s goodness and ability to provide all that you need. The Psalm teaches us to pray, "Open for me the gates where the righteous enter, and I will go in and thank the Lord. These gates lead to the presence of the Lord, and the godly enter there … This is the day the Lord has made. We will rejoice and be glad in it." (Psalm 118:19-20, 24, NLT)

I do not believe that every experience I have comes from the hand of God! The choices that I make and those of people who live alongside of me in this world make have consequences both intended and unforeseen. But, I am convinced by Scripture that everything that happens to me as His child passes through His hand. He will provide us the grace and strength to stand, if we will trust Him. When dire troubles come my way (and they do) I do not think, “Oh God, did this somehow escape Your notice? Were You surprised by this report?” I know that He knows all things! On those days, I pray, “Father, I am confused, but You are not. Show me the way through, around, over, or under this circumstance which I trust that You will ultimately use to accomplish Your purposes in me and the world in which I live. ‘This is the day that You have made!’ ”

If faith in the loving care of my Father forms my expectation, I will see Him working "for the good of those who love him, who have been called according to his purpose." (Romans 8:28, NIV) When we trust Him and live that faith in daily obedience, we are spared planting the seeds of many tribulations and enduring the harvest of sorrow. Instead, He leads us through the gates of the righteous that lead to His joyful Presence, which sustains us in every circumstance, sows the seeds of rich reward.

Right now, would you take a moment to reset your expectations?

If you’re having a great day, praise Him for allowing you to enjoy it, for letting you have life and breath to see the sunrise, delight in love, and do His will. If you’re in a tough moment, ask for faith to find His provision that will let you meet the challenge with grace, for eyes that can see the opportunities to do good in the middle of it all.

Here’s a word from the Word. Make it yours.
"Delight yourself in the Lord and he will give you the desires of your heart.
Commit your way to the Lord; trust in him and he will do this:
He will make your righteousness shine like the dawn,
the justice of your cause like the noonday sun." (Psalm 37:4-6, NIV)
________________________

Be still, my soul;
The Lord is on thy side.
Bear patiently the cross
Of grief or pain;
Leave to thy God
To order and provide.
In ev'ry change
He faithful will remain.

Be still, my soul;
Thy best, Thy heavenly Friend
Thro' thorny ways
Leads to a joyful end.

Be still, my soul;
Thy God doth undertake
To guide the future
As He has the past.

Thy hope, Thy confidence
Let nothing shake;
All now mysterious
Shall be bright at last.

Be still, my soul;
The waves and winds still know
His voice who ruled them
While He dwelt below.

Be Still My Soul
Von Schlegal, Katharina / Borthwick, Jane L. / Sibelius, Jean



© Public Domain

No comments: