Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Too much, too soon?

China, home to a fifth of the earth’s human population, is an economic powerhouse. While it still is not even close to the USA in gross domestic product, it is coming on strong and fast! In a news report last night, the discipline of the people was noted as remarkable. Employees work long hours at high levels of production without complaint. Parents sacrifice hugely to help their children get an education. Hunger and want is a first-hand experience that fuels the drive to succeed. I believe that one of the reasons America is quickly slipping to second-rate status is that most have too much, too soon. Most of us have never experienced the kind of desperation that creates a ‘never again’ kind of mentality that makes us hard-working, productive, and thrifty citizens.

Let’s turn our thoughts to things spiritual.
Disciple, do we know a desperate hunger for the things of God, or have we created a little heaven right here on earth that keeps us satisfied?
Are we content to amuse ourselves with trinkets and games instead of pressing in with earnest desire to know the Lord of Glory?
Have we so tamed our faith that it is but a weekend diversion, a momentary pause in our Self serving ways?

The Scripture says "…it is good to wait quietly for salvation from the Lord. And it is good for people to submit at an early age to the yoke of his discipline: Let them sit alone in silence beneath the Lord’s demands." (Lamentations 3:26-28, NLT) Before you nod in agreement, think about that. Who really wants to wait for anything? Who chooses to submit without complaining about the violation of his rights? Are we taught by our pastors to ask the Lord for His discipline? Do we teach those who we lead to Christ to willingly surrender their expectations of an easy road in this life?

Our right standing with God is a gift, given by Christ to all those who call on His Name. A holy life emerges from a disciplined pursuit of the Lord, from our choices of priorities that make Him first, above all things. Jesus challenges those of us who have had a life where we gain too much, too soon. He asks us to think again about how we are spending our days. "For whoever wants to save his life will lose it, but whoever loses his life for me and for the gospel will save it. What good is it for a man to gain the whole world, yet forfeit his soul?" (Mark 8:35-36, NIV)

Today, I am asking myself, “Jerry, what do you really want from your life? What are your best efforts being expended to gain: the kingdom of God or the success of this world?” I pray that I have not taken too much, too soon. I pray that I will know the true hunger that turns my heart to the One who satisfies the best and deepest longings.

________________


All my lifelong I had panted,
For a draught from some cool spring
That I hoped would quench the burning
Of the thirst I felt within.
Poor I was and sought for riches,
Something that would satisfy;
But the dust I gathered round me
Only mocked my soul's sad cry.

Hallelujah! I have found Him
Whom my soul so long has craved!
Jesus satisfies my longings;
Thro' His blood I now am saved.

Satisfied
Williams, Clara Teare / Hudson, Ralph E.
© Public Domain

No comments: