Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Knock me off my feet!

My life is devoted to serving the Lord. His wisdom guides my life but I would be lying if I told you that He appears to me every day to chat about life. Do I know Him? Yes; yet He is not my Buddy and there is much about Him I cannot understand, even as what I know of Him gives me great comfort. Have you ever had to deal with a Christian who talks of God in overly familiar terms? “God told me to buy this car. God told me to wear this shirt.” Makes you wonder if your spirituality is deficient, doesn’t it? Could God tell them such things? Of course He could. Did He? Maybe He did, maybe they just had a feeling! We can sense the personal leading of the Holy Spirit, but we should be cautious about declaring that “God told me,” because our perception of His voice is sometimes flawed, especially when we go beyond what He has revealed in the Scripture as His will.

Reverence demands great humility from us when we lay claim to hearing God’s voice. Speaking for Him orclaiming His authority for what we say is so serious that the Decalogue addresses the issue: “You shall not misuse the name of the Lord your God, for the Lord will not hold anyone guiltless who misuses his name." (Exodus 20:7, NIV)

I am very skeptical of the veracity of claims many make to have ‘met God’ if they show no radical transformation of heart and/or character. In the Bible we learn that people who met the Lord, face to face, were left permanently changed by the encounter. Often they were literally knocked off their feet! Saul, later called Paul, met Jesus Christ on the road to Damascus. He was knocked down and was left speechless and blind for days! God’s glory was so intense that Moses was not allowed to gaze directly on Him, seeing only His ‘back parts.’ (Exodus 33:23) No passage describes the awesomeness of a Divine Encounter better than this one from Isaiah. "Above him were seraphs, each with six wings: With two wings they covered their faces, with two they covered their feet, and with two they were flying. And they were calling to one another: “Holy, holy, holy is the Lord Almighty; the whole earth is full of his glory.” At the sound of their voices the doorposts and thresholds shook and the temple was filled with smoke. “Woe to me!” I cried. “I am ruined! For I am a man of unclean lips, and I live among a people of unclean lips, and my eyes have seen the King, the Lord Almighty.” (Isaiah 6:2-5, NIV) His vision did not cause his to run out with happy chatter! He was shaken to the core of his being by a new sense of his sinfulness, which was only remedied by a gracious cleansing offered by the Lord.

Disciple, my prayer is “Lord, knock me off my feet!” I do not think I am praying that because I am looking for a thrill or for an experience to talk about to impress my friends. I desire a holy encounter that restores my perspective of Who He is, that causes me to serve Him faithfully and with fewer questions. I do not desire to tame Him, but I want to be transformed by the weight of His Majesty. Yes, true intimacy with God, our Father, will humble us and make us holy. False intimacy will only deepen self-deception.

Have you grown too familiar with the Lord of Glory?
Are you prone to speak as though He is your Buddy, not thinking much of the awesomeness of His Name? It is true that Jesus Christ is our Friend, that the Incarnate God showed us that He is approachable and loving. Yet, we must never forget that He is God, and we are not.

Here’s the word from the Word.
"I have heard all about you, Lord. I am filled with awe by your amazing works. In this time of our deep need, help us again as you did in years gone by. And in your anger, remember your mercy." (Habakkuk 3:2, NLT)
"Even though the fig trees have no blossoms, and there are no grapes on the vines; even though the olive crop fails, and the fields lie empty and barren; even though the flocks die in the fields, and the cattle barns are empty, yet I will rejoice in the Lord! I will be joyful in the God of my salvation! The Sovereign Lord is my strength! He makes me as surefooted as a deer, able to tread upon the heights. (For the choir director: This prayer is to be accompanied by stringed instruments.)" (Habakkuk 3:17-19, NLT)

__________

Holy, Holy, Holy
Lord God, Almighty!
All thy works
Shall praise Thy Name
In earth and sky and sea.
Holy, Holy, Holy,
Merciful and Mighty.
God in three Persons,
Blessed Trinity!
- Dykes and Heber, Public Domain

No comments: