Tuesday, June 15, 2010

I'll make a man out of you.

Dad had a stable and each Spring time a new group of colts arrived that needed to be trained, the goal being having a saddle-broke mount ready by the Fall! My summer work, along with my Dad’s help, was breaking in 6 or 8 horses. To a boy standing 5 feet tall and weighing 100 lbs., a horse is a BIG animal and sometimes a particularly rambunctious one would make me afraid. But, if I tried to retreat, I would hear my Dad urging me to stick with it. He would tell me that I had to make that animal, which stood taller and outweighed me by 10 to 12 times, understand who was in charge. When fear made me tremble, he would take me aside and remind me that life would be hard, and that he was making a man out of me! I never heard those words as unsympathetic, because in the context of his love, I knew they were meant for my best! I am glad that Dad made me face my fears and not back down. Those long ago life lessons in perseverance were never forgotten.


In the writing of Malachi, there is a passage about God’s work in bringing the best from us. We can read them as fearful, harsh words OR we can read them with hope, thanking God that He cares enough to lead us to spiritual maturity. Take a look.
“See, I will send my messenger, who will prepare the way before me. Then suddenly the Lord you are seeking will come to his temple; the messenger of the covenant, whom you desire, will come,” says the Lord Almighty. But who can endure the day of his coming? Who can stand when he appears?
For he will be like a refiner’s fire or a launderer’s soap. He will sit as a refiner and purifier of silver; he will purify the Levites and refine them like gold and silver. Then the Lord will have men who will bring offerings in righteousness ... acceptable to the Lord." (Malachi 3:1-4, NIV)

The difficulties of life can be so hard as to seem overwhelming. There are situations that look like they will destroy us. There are people who work to sabotage us. There is a spiritual adversary who dispatches his demons to try to ruin us. None of this happens without God's permission and He uses it for His purposes. Our Father, by His Spirit, is near and urges us onward, reminding us that He’s refining us, purifying us so that we will become mature, serving Him in a way that enjoys His favor! “So I will come near to you for judgment. ... but do not fear me,” says the Lord Almighty." (Malachi 3:5, NIV)

Here is a word from the Word. Hold onto it when you’re trembling in the tough times! "Endure hardship as discipline; God is treating you as sons. For what son is not disciplined by his father?" (Hebrews 12:7, NIV) "Our fathers disciplined us for a little while as they thought best; but God disciplines us for our good, that we may share in his holiness." (Hebrews 12:10, NIV) Keep your focus on that goal. Thank Him, stay steady, remember He is always close, never allowing us to be faced with a trial that is greater than we can endure. He’s making a man out of you. (And yes, dear sisters, making a mature woman out of you!)

____________

Purify my heart,
Let me be as gold
And precious silver.
Purify my heart,
Let me be as gold,
Pure gold.
Purify my heart,
Cleanse me from within
And make me holy.
Purify my heart,
Cleanse me from my sin,
Deep within.

Refiner's fire,
My heart's one desire
Is to be holy,
Set apart for You, Lord.
I choose to be holy,
Set apart for You, my Master,
Ready to do Your will.

Refiner's Fire
Doerksen, Brian
© 1990 Mercy / Vineyard Publishing (Admin. by Music Services)



CCLI License No. 81005

No comments: