Friday, June 18, 2010

The Family Tree

When I researched my family lineage, family lore took on specific names and I was able to trace, through my paternal grandmother, a line all the way back to the Cornelius Van Wyck of 17th century New Amsterdam (now called New York City). I found another man in the same line, Cornelius Wiltse, who was a Revolutionary War patriot. It was all quite interesting. It stirred my curiosity and I will most likely spend more time researching!

The part of my heritage that I value most, however, is not one that leads to colonial America or patriots. I am a son of God! Quite the boast, you say? Not at all. "[Jesus] came into the very world he created, but the world didn't recognize him. He came to his own people, and even they rejected him. But to all who believed him and accepted him, he gave the right to become children of God. They are reborn-not with a physical birth resulting from human passion or plan, but a birth that comes from God." (John 1:10-13, NLT) My ultimate connection, the best rights and inheritance, come from my Father in Heaven!

The Word promises me a rich inheritance. "All praise to God, the Father of our Lord Jesus Christ. It is by his great mercy that we have been born again, because God raised Jesus Christ from the dead. Now we live with great expectation, and we have a priceless inheritance-an inheritance that is kept in heaven for you, pure and undefiled, beyond the reach of change and decay." (1 Peter 1:3-4, NLT)

You can share in that inheritance, too. It's not limited by DNA. The Holy Spirit will write His life and character into the heart and soul of everyone who receives the promise by faith. Have you accepted Christ Jesus as Lord? Have you acknowledged your need of adoption into the family of God? I have and I'm so glad, so secure, at rest in the Father's provision. The sin of one father, Adam, caused us great loss. We became orphans, without heritage or name. "But because of his great love for us, God, who is rich in mercy, ... raised us up with Christ and seated us with him in the heavenly realms in Christ Jesus, ...For it is by grace you have been saved, through faith-and this not from yourselves, it is the gift of God-" (Ephesians 2:4,6, 8, NIV)

Now that's something to hold precious in my family tree!
Receive the gift today, won't you?
_______________

I was once a sinner, but I came
Pardon to receive from my Lord.
This was freely given, and I found
That He always kept His word.

I was humbly kneeling at the Cross,
Fearing naught but God's angry frown,
When the heavens opened and I saw
That my name was written down.
In the Book 'tis written
"Saved by grace."
O the joy that came to my soul!
Now I am forgiven and I know,
By the blood I am made whole.

There's a new name
Written down in glory,
And it's mine.
O yes, it's mine!
And the white-robed
Angels sing the story,
"A sinner has come home."
For there's a new name
Written down in glory,
And it's mine,
O yes it's mine.
With my sins forgiven
I am bound for heaven,
Nevermore to roam.

A New Name In Glory

Miles  C. Austin
© Public Domain

No comments: