Thursday, January 28, 2010

Today's miracle

Today’s miracle

Everyday needs a miracle. Surprised?  Isn’t knowing the Lord, being kept in His mercies, and having the assurance of eternal life a miracle?  If we define miracle as ‘a divine intervention’ then our salvation is a daily miracle! Yesterday’s grace is not enough for today. Our encounter with God last year cannot sustain us now. We need a daily miracle, an ongoing outpouring of the Holy Spirit to keep us faithfully fervent. I awakened this morning with a groan and my wife inquired, “What’s the matter?” My answer? “The mountain is high!” Like everyone, there are deadlines and demands that drain my strength. I need my daily miracle of mercy. I live by this promise that "The faithful love of the Lord never ends! His mercies never cease. Great is his faithfulness; his mercies begin afresh each morning." (Lamentations 3:22-23, NLT)

After all the amazing experiences of God’s miraculous power in their deliverance from Egypt, we might think that the Israelites would have never felt the slightest twinge of fear again. Who can stand against us? We are the people of God led out by His Mighty Hand they sang for about a day! "The Egyptians chased after them with all the forces in Pharaoh’s army—all his horses and chariots, his charioteers, and his troops. The Egyptians caught up with the people of Israel as they were camped beside the shore near Pi-hahiroth, across from Baal-zephon. As Pharaoh approached, the people of Israel looked up and panicked when they saw the Egyptians overtaking them. They cried out to the Lord." (Exodus 14:9-10, NLT)  "But Moses told the people, “Don’t be afraid. Just stand still and watch the Lord rescue you today. The Egyptians you see today will never be seen again. The Lord himself will fight for you. Just stay calm." (Exodus 14:13-14, NLT)

The sight of Pharaoh’s armies and chariots erased the memories of all the wonders of the Lord God’s power. They needed a miracle. How would they receive it? “Just stand still… stay calm!” That’s another way to say trust and obey. We know their story. They moved ahead towards the impossible, facing the sea, hemmed in by soldiers ready to herd them back to slavery. Then, Moses held up his staff, the wind of the Spirit blew, and a highway appeared in the Red Sea!  And, why did God do this for them? "All Egypt will see my glory and know that I am the Lord!” (Exodus 14:18, NLT)

Disciple, the genuine daily walk with the Lord demands a daily miracle! IF we have no need to come to Him with our empty cup and ask Him to fill it up, I believe we are choosing to live too safely, too much at home in this world, too accommodating of our sins. Those who desire to overcome the world, the flesh, and the Devil quickly come to know the limits of their intellect and determination. They soon realize that ‘unless the Lord builds the house, those that labor, labor in vain!”  So, we must wait on Him and then move ahead, trusting for our miracle in the moment.

Here’s a word from the Word. Tuck it into your memory and live by His strength.
"God’s Message: “Cursed is the strong one who depends on mere humans, Who thinks he can make it on muscle alone and sets God aside as dead weight.
He’s like a tumbleweed on the prairie, out of touch with the good earth. He lives rootless and aimless in a land where nothing grows.
“But blessed is the man who trusts me, God, the woman who sticks with God.
They’re like trees replanted in Eden, putting down roots near the rivers—
Never a worry through the hottest of summers, never dropping a leaf, Serene and calm through droughts, bearing fresh fruit every season." (Jeremiah 17:5-8, The Message)
_____________________

We are called
To be prophets to this nation
To be the Word of God
In every situation
Change my heart
Change my heart today
Who'll be the salt
If the salt should lose its flavor
Who'll be the salt
If the salt should lose its flavor
Change my heart
Change my heart today

Lord take all my lies
And all of my greed
Let me be a sacrifice
For those who are in need
Change my heart
Change my heart today
Lord without Your power
It's all just good intentions
Lord without Your grace
Who could find redemption
Change my heart
Change my heart today

Lord loose the chains of oppression
Lord set the captives free
Lord fill my heart with compassion
Shine Your light shine Your light
Shine Your light through me

Work a miracle in my heart
Work a miracle in my heart
Work a miracle in my heart
Oh Lord today

Miracle In My Heart
© 1998, 1999 Thankyou Music (Admin. by EMI Christian Music Publishing)
Brian Houston
CCLI License No. 810055

No comments: